1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Alex B. How do I begin?

Discussion in 'Ask a TMS Therapist' started by riya8909, Sep 30, 2015.

1. riya8909

riya8909 New Member

This question was submitted via our Ask a TMS Therapist program. To submit your question, click here.

Question
    I am suffering from sharp shooting nerve pains from last few months.They occur 24*7 and some times they are dull sometimes really like sharp that I cry out in pain.
    If I am busy I feel them less but they are there in my body.Firstly I thought I has some serious illness like MS,fibromylgia but then I read about TMS.Now I want to treat my pains with this.Please help me how to begin and what should I do.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2015
  2. Alex Bloom LCSW

Alex Bloom LCSW TMS Therapist

Answer
    Hi Riya, thanks for the question.

The place to begin with TMS is to get in touch with a physician who is familiar with TMS (there is a resource on the wiki here), meet with them and go over your symptoms, history of pain, etc. This is a very important place to start because you need to be able to rule out structural issues in order to pursue the TMS approach with confidence. To that end, begin looking at your pain analytically so that you can give a good picture of how your symptoms behave. What makes it worse? What makes it better? What are the kinds of activities that can distract you from the pain? The fact that being busy and distracted lessens your symptoms is a really good sign, a starting point that you can develop further.

Also, it is important to look at what has been happening in your life in these last few months that have seen the development of symptoms. Have there been any major changes? Relationship issues? Emotional or psychological challenges? All of these things will be important to examine as any number of them can trigger symptoms. If you can, try to look back on how you have handled such things in the past, or if they have been previously connected to physical symptoms. Discussing these details will help give a TMS physician an idea of what it is you might be dealing with and potential directions for you to pursue as you try to help yourself!

Any advice or information provided here does not and is not intended to be and should not be taken to constitute specific professional or psychological advice given to any group or individual. This general advice is provided with the guidance that any person who believes that they may be suffering from any medical, psychological, or mindbody condition should seek professional advice from a qualified, registered/licensed physician and/or psychotherapist who has the opportunity to meet with the patient, take a history, possibly examine the patient, review medical and/or mental health records, and provide specific advice and/or treatment based on their experience diagnosing and treating that condition or range of conditions. No general advice provided here should be taken to replace or in any way contradict advice provided by a qualified, registered/licensed physician and/or psychotherapist who has the opportunity to meet with the patient, take a history, possibly examine the patient, review medical and/or mental health records, and provide specific advice and/or treatment based on their experience diagnosing and treating that condition or range of conditions.

The general advice and information provided in this format is for informational purposes only and cannot serve as a way to screen for, identify, or diagnose depression, anxiety, or other psychological conditions. If you feel you may be suffering from any of these conditions please contact a licensed mental health practitioner for an in-person consultation.

Questions may be edited for brevity and/or readability.

introverted likes this.