1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

How can you 'push and test' yourself...?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by UkAdR, Oct 30, 2014.

1. UkAdR

UkAdR Peer Supporter

I know that one of the things that you need to do, and I have read many times before, that you need to push yourself to stretch your limits when recovering from TMS.

My question is - how can you do this if you didn't really do it before and not have anything new you try be 'trying to make my back feel better'?

For instance I see 'I went jogging' a lot. Well I have never enjoyed jogging. I do enjoy walking however and have done this more and more, but it is still linked to the times I was walking more from before discovering TMS to 'strengthen' my back. The same goes for swimming - I have been doing it more and more but again, I started swimming over 2 years ago to originally try and strengthen my back.

Now these activities have links with trying to make my back stronger instead of just enjoying them for what they are. Thing is I was never really into physical exercise before so anything I will try now will be for the sake of improving my back.

Did anyone else healed/healing find themselves in this quandary?

Thanks all,

Adam

2. North Star

North Star Beloved Grand Eagle

Adam, I've had something similar. The years of Physical therapy have me trained like a circus monkey to do certain stretches for 2 minute periods. What I have done is I DON'T time the holds or if I do, I pick a random number to count to…anything besides what a PT to do.

I remind myself now that when I stretch or do any exercise, I am doing it because it feels good and it will help me become agile and age well. I have to remind myself of this frequently!

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  3. blake

blake Well known member

Hello ukAdr,

The thought that comes to mind for me is did you stop any other activities because of your pain? For example, some people work fewer hours, stop going out with friends, travelling, playing guitar or playing video games because they think it makes their pain worse. I for one had stopped working full time, so recovery for me means increasing my work hours without thinking about the pain and taking my job to the next level, which I was always afraid of doing because of the pain.

Maybe resuming all activities and pushing the boundaries will mean different things to different people. The point is not to let the pain stop you from creating the life you want.

Hope that helps.
    Blake

Eric "Herbie" Watson and Ellen like this.
  4. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

I agree with Blake. However, it is also true that exercise is good for the mindbody--for everyone. So I think trying to incorporate some into your life in a way that you enjoy is a good thing for your general well being.

5. blake

blake Well known member

Good point, Ellen. Exercise is extremely helpful in so many ways. The trick is to find something you love.

After finding out about tms, I stopped all forms of exercise that were suppose to make my neck better. Now I love trying new things at the gym. If it's not fun, I don't do it. If I like it

6. Joey2276

Joey2276 Peer Supporter

I've found yoga (hatha yoga) to be great for this. Aside from being trmendously soothing to the mindbody (going into a session I am 80% in my head and 20% in my body; coming out these numbers are reveresed; mind is very quieted!) I find that duting the session I will get aches in my knees and freak out mentally; then 20 minutes later my lower back will be aching badly; and its amazing how the aches travel around. The important thing is to find a yoga instructor who you trust, as there are some bad ones out there who really can push people too hard. A yoga swchool that is more mediation based is best; I have never gone to hot yoga or a 24 hour fitness type place so dont know what they do there.

I think you know deep down, if it is hurting like acute pain you dont do it; if it is TMSish pain go for it. Also plenty of great youtube yoga videos. There is a lot of core exersices with yoga so if you arent used to it your lower back will likely be sore at the beginning; so maybe go slow at first to let the muscles build up.

Been doing it 3 months now and aside from TMS psycho therapy it has been the most valuable thing I've done for TMS healing; plus I love it!

Ellen likes this.