1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 3 How can I start running again?

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Stiffbreeze, Jan 27, 2021.

1. Stiffbreeze

Stiffbreeze Newcomer

So I've been fortunate enough to break through the barrier with Yoga, and I can do yoga with little effect on activating my back pain, but basically anything else is just...not working. Specifically running. If I can get back to running, it's almost like everything will be ok, I have it so strongly linked to being ok in my mind.

I've tried to start running again probably...10 times now? And each time I only make it one or 2 runs because my back starts seizing up something fierce.

I understand Sarno says "don't be afraid, it can't injure your back", but it certainly hurts, and it certainly causes me to lose sleep, and potentially fall off of my good habits. It's gotten to the point that my subconscious is just...terrified of running. I know it is, even if my conscious brain is like "dude, you'll be fine." It almost feels like the only way to get over it is to just power through it, and keep going even when my back seizes up on me and I'm exhausted.

Has anyone else dealt with this problem? What worked for you?

2. ssxl4000

ssxl4000 Well known member

Hello, I dealt with a similar issue with exercise. It wasn't fear of it causing pain, but causing me to "crash" and feel miserable and exhausted for several days. Once I had some confidence through the SEP program, I took baby steps. I literally rode a stationary bike for 5 minutes, a few times a week. The next week, I did 6 minutes. Then 8, 10, 12 . . . . and so forth. I did the same with other types of exercises. Even though I was very confident of my TMS diagnosis and not really afraid of another "crash," I didn't want to give my brain an excuse to try to set me back.

Anyway, with your mind putting pressure on running, by linking it to proof that you're ok, I think you are setting yourself up for trouble if you try to "power through it." Dr. Sarno always talked about losing your fear of your symptoms, so once you feel less afraid of the pain and more certain that it is TMS, I would try again . . . maybe with baby steps. In the meantime, there is swimming, walking, cycling, and plenty of other things to do. You have the rest of your life to get back into running, so you don't have to rush! Keep up the good work!

Stiffbreeze likes this.