1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

How can I come to terms with TMS/MBS with such loud tinnitus?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Mr. Wimbleton, Jan 4, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Mr. Wimbleton

Mr. Wimbleton Newcomer

Hello, I am a 25-year-old who had recurring pain in my knees and back for several years. However, about six months ago, I started to develop tinnitus in my right ear. This started around an emotionally intense time, shortly after the death of my Cousin and the referendum in the UK which has made me nervous and uncertain about the future of my relationship (I currently live in Brazil with my partner and had plans to move there).

My girfriend also has chronic pain, and is treating it using the TMS method. She actually recommended Dr. Sarno's book to me, stating that my pain and tinnitus could be caused by TMS.

I originally thought it was caused by a severe bout if sinusitus that I developed around July. I went to an otolaryngologist who gave me nasal spray and took a look at my ears. He said they looked fine, and that some swelling behind the eardrum had gone down by my follow-up appointment. When I heard that ringing in the ears was also a symptom of TMS/MBS, I decided to begin the programme and see if it can be treated.

I'm only on day 4 of the programme, but have read Healing Back Pain, and more pieces on emotions and physical symptoms. Though the method is indeed helping me with my pain, the tinnitus is strong as ever, as is some swelling above my right eye which came around the same time as the sinus problems.

I'm terrified. I woke up at 3 am today with the loudest ringing I've had so far. All I can think of is the question that came to me: how can I completely accept the treatment with such loud ringing? Trying to deal with it by "talking" to the brain seems totally futile, as are the writing exercizes. I can't even stop for long enough to concentrate on the journaling exercizes without panicking.

Any help would be seriously appreciated right about now.

2. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

Daniel Lyman, a TMS therapist made some GREAT points in his post that I'll repeat :

Also do a "SEARCH" here and at the TMS Help site for your symptom and you will find many threads about it and that it can very well be TMS.

Mermaid likes this.
  3. Mermaid

Mermaid Well known member

I don't mean to sound flippant, I have occasional bad tinnitus so I know how awful it can be. This might sound silly but have you tried telling it to "Shut the f**k up, I'm not listening to you so p**s off!!" Lose the fear, lose the symptom, basic but true.

Tennis Tom likes this.