1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

How can a Physiotherapist check for TMS - example tenderness in hip

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by WeiDe, Jan 29, 2018.

1. WeiDe

WeiDe Newcomer

My physiotherapist was interested in TMS. I recall reading in a book that Dr Sarno did a specific test: something about checking whether there is tightness or tenderness in the hip area? Does anyone have a more detailed description, video or images as how this is done? Thanks!

2. MindBodyPT

MindBodyPT Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi WeiDe,

As a physical therapist myself I can speak to this a bit...of course it is much more complex than checking whether certain muscles are tight or not! One can have pain with or without muscle tension, or muscle tension can be present with or without pain. This was Dr. Sarno's original way of examining patients that he describes in his books but he uses lots of other diagnostic methods as well, as do all TMS practitioners. Any PT knows how to assess for which muscles feel tight (although this tells you very little about a persons condition)...it is a "whole picture" you have to get to clue in to whether or not someone has TMS. If your PT is interested in TMS they could be pointed to a number of resources to begin learning more about it, including Dr. Schubiners work- in fact he will be releasing a book soon that is handbook for TMS professionals that I preordered: http://www.unlearnyourpain.com/hidden_from_view_book (hidden_from_view_book)

Let me know if I can provide any additional resources for them.

JanAtheCPA likes this.