1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

How best to overcome new stressor without having a major setback

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by stayfit65, Jan 25, 2016.

1. stayfit65

stayfit65 Peer Supporter

Hi all,
    My husband lost his job today and he was the primary breadwinner.He only gets a small severance. This was a major blindside to us. We have a ton of bills and I don't know what we're going to do. My legs and back are on fire! I'm worried that the extra financial stress is going to take its toll on me and I'm going to have a much harder time sitting at my job! I felt some shifting of symptoms recently but now everything is on fire. I need some real help here... I sure don't have money now for a therapist. I don't know what to do...I DONT want to take SSRIs again.
    Thanks.

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Stayfit. Move over for me in the very big boat you and your husband are in financially. The economy is causing so many good hardworking people to lose their job. I have been a fulltime freelance writer for more than 40 years. At age 85 now, I have to count every penny because work is slow and doesn't pay well. I have a big mortgage and don't want to lose the house, and my credit cards are maxed out. So I sympathize with you guys.

I agree with Susan that you need to put into play all the ways you know of and can learn about relieving the stress you are under, and your husband needs to do the same. Your pains are most likely coming because you are worried, and that includes worrying about being in pain while at work. You need to talk to yourself positively that you realize that is caused by TMS. Worrying causing pain is very common in TMS.

Your husband needs to apply for unemployment compensation right away, then keep positive about finding new work.

If you want to talk to a therapist, ask your community's social services people if there is one you can talk to for nothing.

For starters, your community probably has an agency to help get food for free. Friends who are low in funds are getting daily deliveries of lunch and dinner for very little money, and others are getting it who can't afford to pay anything. Ask your local social service agencies about that help.

Keep positive that things are going to improve.

MWsunin12 likes this.
  3. stayfit65

stayfit65 Peer Supporter

Walt, you are the BEST encourager!!! Thank you so much, you have no idea how much I needed this today. I've contacted a few therapists today to get appt who take my insurance. I'm sorry you are going through this time, also. I will pray for you. And I'm teaching my class, pain and all tonight!

Boston Redsox likes this.