1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern U.S.(New York) Daylight Time. It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern (now US Daylight Time).
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this link: http://go.tmswiki.org/newprogram
    Dismiss Notice

Day 25 How am i doing so far?

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Ghislaine, May 12, 2018.

1. Ghislaine

Ghislaine Newcomer

While i still have pain in the most disruptive areas (back and coccyx-buttocks), there are times when it is less and very occasionally i have brief periods of no pain. I am working hard, with encouragement from spouse, sister, friends and therapist to be patient. They help remind me my anxiety/worry/negative thinking has pervaded my thinking 24x7 from toddler age to now (59yrs) and I have a history of psychosomatic illnesses through those years, so may take a while to un-do such thinking as the thoughts/emotions that cause TMS are unconscious and repressed.
    Through the SEP program, I am starting to move away from obsessing about my pain persistence and slow recovery; no easy task when the pain flares up worse than normal level. I recently learned through SEP that since TMS-causing thoughts are unconscious I need to intercept them by stopping several times a day up to 1x/hour to assess what has happened in that time period and what thoughts/emotions/feelings i had/am having at the deepest (not superficial) level. I am starting to work on not just experiencing/feeling/tolerating the emotions AND I tell myself I have nothing to be frightened about whatever situation I am in or about to be in. ALSO, where appropriate, I do one or more of three things. 1) Self soothe (e.g. you're OK little girl/sweetie). 2) Talk it out with a support person (often my spouse or sometimes my FaceTime therapist. 3) Start thinking of more positive thoughts/emotions to replace the negative ones, so that in the long term my reactions to the world at a conscious and unconscious level are healthier, more positive, more constructive, more well-serving of me. I feel i have so many triggers (almost anything i do) that set off pain and suspect that is because anything i do is fraught with anxiety around inadequacy, sadness that i will be rejected/abandoned because of it, and terror that I am incapable of taking care of myself when rejected/abandoned.
    I have apprehension about making a full recovery as best stats like ~70% recovery is for significant to full recovery and recovery can be 2-6 weeks or up to 3 years. I am learning to interpret this more positively, like if i remain determined to recover, believe it is TMS, keep at it, I will recover. Such hard work, but i have read and heard repeatedly that the hard work is worth it and i sure want to give up the wretched (anxiety filled) life i have led )even though all my fears helped drive great career success), and move to a joyful, happy existence.

Last edited: May 12, 2018