1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Horrible dental pain

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by jtperks, Mar 16, 2017.

1. jtperks

jtperks Peer Supporter

Hello,
    I'm wondering about dental pain manifesting itself as TMS? I went to get a simple filling in December (no pain at all), and then after the filling, I've been in excruciating pain ever since. The endodontist ended up doing 2 root canals on that tooth (#18), that didn't help. So he had #19 extracted. That didn't help. Now, my general dentist thinks I need a root canal on #20 -- but my endodontist isn't totally convinced. He basically doesn't understand why I'm in such agony, but because I am, he'll agree to do another root canal on 20.

The pain is all over the left side of my mouth, upper and bottom. Doesn't make any sense. For 2 1/2 months, I haven't been able to go more than 4-6 hours without ibuprofen. And now here I am, with no real path forward.

If I decide to treat this as TMS, should I try and get off the pain meds even though it's unbearable??

2. Steve Ozanich

Steve Ozanich TMS Consultant

Back when GPD was first released I worked with someone who had tooth TMS. They had a first tooth removed, and it didn't help, as the pain moved to the tooth next to it, and then that tooth was removed, and the pain shifted to the next tooth...etc. 4 teeth removed and still the pain was present. Once the TMS is recognized the work can begin.

Don't get off the pain meds until it's bearable. No need to suffer, do the TMS work though.

SO

3. jtperks

jtperks Peer Supporter

Thanks Steve!
    I was thinking from your book, this might be an example of phase 2, "blood in the water TMS", thanks for giving me that dental example..

4. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

Do a search here and at the TMS Help Forum for your issue and you will find others who have overcome dental pain treating it as TMS.

5. RichieRich

RichieRich Well known member

@jtperks

I've been obsessing for a while about my teeth. I still have all 4 wisdom teeth, but the bottom right is crowding the teeth in front causing one of my front teeth to slowly rotate. This one tooth had been very sensitive for the longest. After 5 years of avoiding the dentist, I bit the bullet and went for a checkup and cleaning. Not surprisingly, I had to have 4 fillings. I can't believe I didn't die from anxiety while sitting there, as the smell of burnt tooth media violated my senses. Now 2 months later, the tooth hasn't hurt since. And I was about to have all 4 wisdom teeth pulled because of the sensitivity.

6. RobertChumbley

RobertChumbley Newcomer

Hey there! It's very sad to see you go through such unbearable pain. But over-viewing your situation of tooth pain, I think you should continue to take medications because your pain is unbearable and there's no point in not getting medicines if you are going through such pain. Or you can take a second opinion from another dentist or endodontist to be sure of your cause of pain. And yeah, do the TMS work though. You can also opt for root canal Los Angeles for further more assistance in your tooth pain. There are many online websites that can help you with services, tips, dos and don'ts of dental health problems. I hope this helps you!