1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 1 Hopeful

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by olive0516, May 30, 2020.

1. olive0516

olive0516 Newcomer

Hi everyone.

About 10 years ago, suddenly my left leg started stiffening at random intervals and it made walking and sleeping unbearable. About a year into this nightmare, I received a cortisone shot in my left hip joint, and after months of physical therapy I was as good as new.
    2.5 years ago, my right left starts stiffening, mostly when I'm going through emotional stress, but I'm mostly able to ignore it and move on. A few weeks ago, my lower back starts hurting, my right leg spasming more than ever, sometimes it's hard for me to bend it even with the help of my hands because it just stiffens straight. I fell in my home twice and luckily didn't injure myself too much, but both occasions left me terrified of what might have been. Today I haven't been able to go down the stairs because my leg stiffens and lower back starts hurting as soon as I go near them. I know the only reason for this is that I'm scared of falling again.
    I'm completely pain free when I sit or lie on my side. I'm mad and upset that it's my brain that's doing this, I need to work through those feelings.

I'm hopeful this program will help me. Primarily I think I need to stop being afraid.

daniebama likes this.
  2. Katy Elise

Katy Elise Peer Supporter

Hi olive0516 - welcome! I'm fairly new here myself but wanted to say hello and add that I do believe this program will help you! It sounds like TMS to me. I know it's frustrating when we can't get the brain to stop manifesting these painful symptoms, so the fact that you're honoring those feelings is a great start. Best of luck with the first few days!

3. ssxl4000

ssxl4000 Well known member

Hello and welcome. It sounds like you are in the right place for your symptoms. Make sure to reach out on the forum if you have questions or doubts.