1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 1 Hopeful

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by 49C2, Oct 17, 2019.

1. 49C2

49C2 New Member

Well, never thought I'd be here. I am a medical professional (paramedic) for 27 years. Suffered a back injury in April and like most here I have seen so many doctors, chiropractors, and physical therapists. I have had 9 MRI's of different body parts since June and the only thing showing is an old (2006) L5 herniated disk and a new annular tear of the same disk.

Luckily for me every surgeon that I have consulted with has said "you don't need surgery and you'll be fine." My question for each of them is WHEN?!?!?

My back pain started in April after doing some firefighter training. The initial doctor ordered PT for 6 weeks. About 2 weeks in I began having pain in my butt, my hip and the top of my pelvis which caused my left leg to rotate outward. I should note I am a very active person. I have 2 young children and my wife and I are avid runners. We were training for a 1/2 marathon when my symptoms first started.

To shorten this up a bit, I am feeling better today than I did a month ago. The doctors have said I should go back to work because I have nothing structural that they can see. I am still in a lot of pain, but I'm going to give it a try.

I read Dr. Sarno's Mind Over Back Pain and I started The Divided Mind last night. I have read everything about believing and accepting. I am still having a bit of trouble with the accepting part which is why I am here trying to work on it. I fully believe this program has helped thousands of people, I need to accept that it can help me. This is hard as a person in the medical field who has had no dealings ever with mindbody treatment or even any psychological experience.

Forgot to note that I scheduled an appointment with Dr Sarno's student Dr. Rashbaum already. I think if I can get TMS validated by a doctor it will be easier to accept. However, I'd like to have this beat by even sooner than the end of November which is when my appointment is.

I'm open to encouragement or suggestions from anyone who's been helped beat TMS.

ScottForsyth and JanAtheCPA like this.
  2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Welcome, @49C2 - and congratulations for taking these first steps to recovery, because reading your story, I know you're in the right place. The very first time I posted to this forum on Day 1 of the SEP was a huge leap for me as well, and it changed my life forever.

You might be very interested in checking out Dr David Hanscom, MD and former back surgeon, who has given up surgery in favor of following Dr Sarno and spending the rest of his career advocating for the mind body approach to healing back pain! He developed his own program called Back In Control, which he asked patients to complete before scheduling surgery, and the number of patients who canceled their surgeries was significant.

I'm not advocating his program rather than the SEP, but justccheck him out for another perspective (he himself suffered from back pain). He also writes blog articles which are reposted here on one of our subforums, I'll find a link for you if you're unable to find that location.

3. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

PS, I never saw a TMS doctor. Feel free to read my profile story.

4. 49C2

49C2 New Member

I scheduled with the TMS doctor because I'm having a hard time with the acceptance part. I'm hoping that hearing "you have TMS" from a doctor will help me with that. I'm having some back pain today and I keep telling myself it's just TMS and my body and mind keep saying "no it's not"........ just need to find a way to make it all jive.

5. ScottForsyth

ScottForsyth Peer Supporter

Good luck!