1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

holiday advice wanted ...

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by nelle, Sep 8, 2016.

1. nelle

nelle Peer Supporter

hello , im about to go away for two weeks to some whee with no internet !!!.

I have found the structured course very helpful for the first two weeks as i stuck to it religiously and carved out a lot of time .I definitely felt more optimistic and struggled less with worrying .

since then ive had a lot of time pressures and have had days lots of days off and i feel the difference My grip on the diagnosis wains , and i begin to worry and get more symptoms again .

Im not going to have internet while im away , i have got two more weeks of t he course left to do .

What would you advice i do ?

Should i keep journaling any way ?

I do have the book unlearn your pain , which i haven't used yet , i could take it with me .
    Or do you think that ill get muddled as i haven't finished the wiki course .

Advice , appreciated

Nelle x

2. BeWell

BeWell Well known member

Hello Nelle,

You are so lucky to go on a trip for two weeks! No internet either, must be exotic!!

Soak up the atmosphere wherever you are. The wiki course will be here when you return.

Until then, if you must wonder about your learning to undercut what the mind is doing to begin symptoms in the body, replay in your mind what you have already learned and let that knowledge expand your mind to understand what role emotions have in directing your life.

Lucky you going on vacation!!!

plum likes this.
  3. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

I don't think there's any problem with using the book Unlearn Your Pain while in the midst of doing the SEP. They are very similar.

I also agree that it is fine to take a break from all TMS work while away. You could see how this goes. If you have an increase in TMS symptoms, then see if journaling helps. These are tools to assist us and we are free to use them in the way that is best for each of us individually. Flexibility and self-awareness are key to recovery. Use what you need when you need it. You are the best judge of this.

Enjoy your holiday!

plum likes this.
  4. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

Nelle,

Generally I'd suggest enjoying a well-deserved break and resuming the program when you get home but it won't hurt to pop Dr. Schu in your case. I took Unlearn Your Pain on holiday with me a few years ago and it was quite nice to engage with healing in a completely different environment. I put the CD on my mp3 player and often listened to it at night as well. I also took a copy of Sarno's daily reminders to act as a touchstone. Maybe that could be a compromise for you; you could print out some things that really speak to you and work with those more deeply.

If I were off on holiday at this point in my healing I'd take a damn good novel but in my early days I found the reassurance of having some literature to hand to be a good thing.

Whatever you decide, relish your time away, have fun and rest.

Bon Voyage x

5. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

Bring a TMS book with you for your emotional first-aid kit like you would band-aids and suntan lotion. Any TMS book will do, the message is simple. Being on the beach, away from distractions, will allow your mind to concentrate absorbing the TMS message into your sub-c. I've never read Schubiner's book, Dr. Sarno's "HEALING BACK PAIN" is a good one.

6. nelle

nelle Peer Supporter

Thanks every one for your kind response . I think maybe i will print out a few things to read if im struggling and my mind is trying to tell me that its not tms .

Nelle

7. nelle

nelle Peer Supporter

and yes i am lucky to be going away . Im a country girl living in London , definitely need some country side and fresh air.