1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 1 History of my back pain and suffering

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by suffering, Aug 26, 2014.

1. suffering

suffering New Member

Hi, Im new here. Although I am not new to TMS. I was diagnosed with it 22 years ago, when I was 18 years old. I suffered from severe and debilitating back pain, forcing me to drop out of college at the time, because I could not sit. I met with Dr Sarno, after being convinced that he could help me, and he did. I flushed all of my narcotics down the toilet, and I returned to a mostly normal life. I had bouts of pain, most of them were bearable, some wer every difficult, but I always tried to talk to my back and my brain, tell it to stop, that it cant keep repressing the feelings I had, and trust me, there were a lot of them! Recently, I had such severe pain, I couldn't move, it was beyond horrible. It was worse than the 5 labors I had, some of which were without an epidoural. I was taken by ambulance to the hospital, and a pice of the herniated disc that Ive had for 22 + years, broke off, and was pressing on a nerve. I was admitted, and had surgery. Three weeks later, I had another emergency surgery, as I had a lot of weakness in my foot, but I had severe pain, which was not supposed to be after surgery. THe doctor is tops, and he hesitated, and consulted other top professors, before doing the second surgery, but he said he had to make room for the nerves, as it seemed the disc had re herniated. This tiome they removed the rest of the disc, but also they said there was an infection brewing, because there was tons of fluid. Three weeks after that, I was back in the hospital. due to a major infection. I was told on the follow up visit that I was very, very sick, and my body will take a long time to heal. I am not longer having that horrible back pain, but I do have muscular back pain, and I still have numbness/pain in my leg. I started acupuncture, and she actually recommended this program. Although I know that Dr Sarno's theory works, and I think it can help me with my back now , Im not convinced that I didn't need the surgeries, and Im not convinced that I don't have nerve damage, as the neurologist has told me. Maybe I should be convinced, but something is holding me back. So, any encouragement, advice, ideas are extremely welcome! Thanks!

2. SSG

SSG Peer Supporter

Suffering,

I am just beginning this program as well. I can sympathize with your questioning so many things...as I do. That must have been very scary having two emergency surgeries! Since I'm new...I don't have a lot of advice, but since your pain has changed from horrible back pain to muscular...would that be caused by nerve damage? Since you have had TMS before, and it does seem to occasionally re-occur...then it sounds to me like you are on the right path! Wish you the best! You are not alone in this.

suffering likes this.
  3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

suffering likes this.
  4. suffering

suffering New Member

Thank you, that is my feeling also!

5. suffering

suffering New Member

Thank you for replying. I do have nerve damage, now the question is if its temporary or permanent, and its so scary. I hope we both get the help we need from this program,and can support each other!

SSG likes this.