1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Hip, shoulder and groin pain

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Artmuzz, Mar 30, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Artmuzz

Artmuzz Well known member

I have had pain in my left side of my groin and top inside of my left thigh when moving my left leg for months.

However, a few weeks ago I strained my lower back (left side of hip) when putting up a bed for my friend. The pain was constant and made worse when standing up and walking up and down stairs and getting out of car. Going to the toilet was a nightmare as my buttocks felt tight and I was getting extremely painful spasms when getting out of bed or up from sofa and trying to walk.

Anyway, a couple of weeks later the pain has gone. However, I only now feel severe pain in the back of my hip when going out for a walk and shopping or standing in a queue when the pain can feel sharp and it radiates to the top front of my left thigh.

I also have pain in my left shoulder and upper arm when I raise my arm up. I was thinking this could be TMS as I suffer from anxiety and panic disorder. I fear I might have osteoarthritis.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2022
  2. Callum bosua

Callum bosua Peer Supporter

Hip pain ! It's the worst I know. Try a day where you put lots of effort toward emotional scanning whenever your thinking about the pain. This could mean every hour of the day if it's an obsession like mine was. I found just by forcefully directing my attention toward my emotions (even if I can't feel anything specific) my pain would lessen slightly or even change. This gave me proof enough that my pain was most likely TMS and was comforting while I waited for the doc to give me the all clear. Low and behold doc said it's most likely fibromyalgia which as we know is in fact TMS so that was second peice of crucial evidence. Try and build up a case (like a legal case) against your pain to convince your mind it's trick can't fool you.

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  3. Joima

Joima New Member

Hip and groin pain started in earnest January 2022. The more attention I gave it, the worse it got. It spread back to my right glute, hip flexor, thigh, shin, adductor and foot. The adductor was probably what kept my leg from working properly, and the pain became so severe I could barely walk with a cane.

found out about TMS in February, and just by understanding the science, along with recognizing my own TMSy personality, the symptoms decreased by 25%.
    The rest of the symptoms have been slowly fading over the summer. I can now walk slowly without pain, but I still limp quite a bit. I think this is due to the adductors still lacking in blood flow. My leg muscles have shortened quite a bit, but my coach says they’ll lengthen back out in time.
    I’m about 80% better now, and I attribute it to having the clarity it’s TMS, and living my life as normal as I can.
    I’m also very aware of my perfectionism, etc. No more pressure to be perfect!

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  4. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Sounds like you are doing great work, @Joima - and welcome, by the way!

Maybe you are referring to an exercise coach, in which case ignore the rest of this - but if this is a TMS coach, consider also consulting with a personal trainer who will push you as you recover. A good one will be credentialed in biomechanics and won't make you do more than is safe - although they might have you do more than is comfortable - which is important for recovery :)

Joima likes this.
  5. Joima

Joima New Member

Thanks for your reply. The adductors are still contracted due to the TMS, which is keeping the leg shortened. I am doing some exercises as my comfort level allows. I can do much more than I could two months ago. Before I found this approach, I was doing hours everyday, thinking it was a muscle imbalance. Ha! It only made things much much worse.
    My foot was also affected and turned inward due to the lack of blood flow. It is almost normal now.