1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Hiding emotions, day 10

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Imagyx, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Imagyx

Imagyx Peer Supporter

The question is from whom I hide my emotions.
    Actually in my case it should be asked who I don't hide them from.
    Only my girlfriend and for some amount my personal trainer know about my emotions.
    Others may think about what I'm hiding and a lot can be told from a persons body language, but
    that's all there is.
    Now that I think about this, triggered by the SEP, I'm aware that this is a big problem for me.
    But I don't know how to change that fact.
    Letting out what I really think and feel all the time would be like punching friends and family in the face much too often
    for them to want to see me at all.

2. veronica73

veronica73 Well known member

Hi Imagyx,

Part of my TMS journey has been learning to accept all of of my feelings and letting myself experience them even if they are unpleasant. Sometimes it's also helpful to express the feelings to another person, but often it's not. I think it depends on the person and the situation.

~ Veronica

3. BruceMC

BruceMC Beloved Grand Eagle

Trouble with repression and repressing your emotions is the habit is programmed into your psyche at the same time your separate personality forms around your 6th year. You can be repressing all the time throughout your life and never know it unless TMS symptoms develop when you have a traumatic experience that produces what might be called "system overload". But recognizing that you are actively engaged repressing your feelings sure seems like a necessary first step on the road to recovery. Imagyx, you have taken that necessary first step. You just have to stick with it to achieve symptoms resolution. All the best!

4. Imagyx

Imagyx Peer Supporter

Thank you both for sharing your thoughts about these emotions.
    I'll try a bit of both sharing feelings with others and just accepting them for myself.
    Btw nice citation Veronica.

veronica73 likes this.
  5. Imagyx

Imagyx Peer Supporter

Another question concerning these emotions:
    Is the reason why so many people don't have TMS-pain because they are just not
    that sensitive like we all seem to be?
    I've never seen me as that sensitive guy but I now think I am and a lot.

6. veronica73

veronica73 Well known member

I think probably everyone has TMS or a TMS-equivalent at some point in life but it might not rise to the level of chronic pain. Dr. Sarno talks about how TMS is fueled by 1/3 childhood, 1/3 present day stress, 1/3 personality traits. So it could be other people are just as sensitive but have less day to day stress, etc. There's also the "rage-soothe" balance--someone might have a lot of counteracting supportive, fun influences in their life that keep the inner rage from boiling over into TMS.