1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 1 Here we go

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by desined, Jul 18, 2022.

1. desined

desined New Member

When I was about 15 or 16, I was on vacation with my parents and overheard this story of a girl being taken to the hospital after eating dinner at the hotel we were staying at. Nevertheless, I had dinner, which resulted in me staying in bed for the rest of the day with intense stomach pain. Soon after we came back, I started developing symptoms. I did an endoscopy, one doctor told me that there were no irregularities shown on the scans, and the other two concluded that I had GERD (Even though I do not experience any pain, and rarely get heartburn). I've been living with that ever since.

When I was 19, I did a backflip and landed awkwardly. Results? Instant back pain which shifted from one side to the other, tailbone pain, leg numbness, and stiffness. Once again, went to several doctors, and got different a diagnosis every single time. Had every single type of treatment - PT, chiro, acupuncture, drugs, and so on. Nothing helped and I was getting mentally exhausted.

I heard about Dr. Sarno roughly 2 years ago. I watched some of his videos and "accepted" the possibility of every one of my symptoms being purely psychological, but never really dived deep into the book materials. Instead, I sort of shifted my attention away from the symptoms and the pain subsided to a level where I could go back to my normal physical activities, but never fully recovered.

Yesterday I read the book. As of today, I'm starting with the educational program posted on the forum. I'm still having difficulties accepting the symptoms, most likely due to English not being my first language and not resonating with me quite that well, but nevertheless, I have high hopes.

To any of you embarking on the journey, I wish you the best; and remember that we are all in this together.