1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 1 Here goes

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by keith, Jun 10, 2013.

1. keith

keith New Member

My name is Keith and I'm 23, and I've been struggling with digestive issues for five years. Yes, pooping-related digestive issues.

Before college, I was the picture of health - varsity athlete, AP classes, etc. Save for a summer of mono, I'd had it pretty good. But the moment I arrived on campus, something must have triggered inside me, because my digestive track refused to work. I knew leaving home for a big school in a different state where I knew few people would be difficult, but now, almost a year after graduation, am I realizing how stressful that really could be.

Creating a new social circle, learning a new environment, figuring out my way academically. I wasn't giving these changes the credit they deserved. And before I knew it, I was walling myself up in my dorm room, pitying myself for the bloated feeling in my belly, and spending hours on my computer instead of venturing out to explore and make new friends. I mean, it's hard to feel social when you haven't had a decent crap in over a month, but unfortunately I hadn't made that connection.

When I came home for winter break, I started seeing doctors. There has to be something physically wrong with my stomach, I thought. Maybe the tap water in Eugene has different chemicals I'm not used to. The brain will go to strange places to rationalize pain. Eventually, after months of tests and even a colonoscopy, the docs were stumped. Great. So back to my dorm room.

Somehow I made it though college and landed a dream internship but the digestive issues haven't gone away. I've become able to manage the constipation, thanks to a routine that takes all morning and culminates with drinking coffee to speed up the last bit of the digestive route. While easing the constipation somewhat, I still rarely feel 100% and this has created new problems where I feel like I'm wasting half my day just trying to focus on getting a decent poop.

Recently I took Jon Kabat-Zinn's 8-week mindfulness course and stuck with the meditation everyday, without much digestive improvement. Luckily on the last day of the course, a fellow student suggested that I read Sarno. Even though I have stomach issues instead of back issues, I see myself on every page. My personality is the ambitious achiever who is way too competitive and clever for my own good. Every thing has to be on my terms, which creates stressful environments out of thin air. But I definitely see the connection between emotions and physical pain, and I'm looking forward to getting to the root of my repressed feelings to conquer my TMS and get my life back.

Thanks for reading and I appreciate the support!

2. Stella

Stella Well known member

Hi Keith,
    You have come to the right place. You are going on an amazing journey. Keep us posted on your progress.

3. Nabil

Nabil New Member

Based on what I've read so far in the forum from other members suffering with IBS, constipation, etc., accepting the constipation and pain/bloating is the first step. We have to remember, our body is trying to help us by creating physical symptoms. We have to accept the pain, related symptoms and stop fearing it. We're just creating more stress and anxiety. For example, being afraid of certain foods only enables the brain to take over with symptom substitution. We conquer back pain only to find ourselves constipated and bloated. I have to stop fearing, being angered and frustrated with the constipation and bloated feeling. It takes time. I've given up some of my favorite foods with the fear that it will hurt me with digestive problems. Most of what I've given up are healthy foods like cabbage, green beans, etc. An allergy test I did came positive against some of my favorite foods. Can my brain actually cause my body to reject certain foods? I'm beginning to think, YES!

Keith, How are you feeling these days?

TrustIt and Eric "Herbie" Watson like this.
  4. kindlethelight

kindlethelight Peer Supporter

I am particularly interested in this post. Because of constipation and migraines (I know, Louise Hay would ask what I am afraid to let go of!), I have, over the years, eliminated ALOT of foods. And stayed off them. Wheat, gluten, dairy, sugar, all nightshades and more recently eggs! I am wondering if the fear of these foods is causing me to have reactions to them?

TrustIt likes this.
  5. Nabil

Nabil New Member

Hi Kindlelight and forum members. I do have a hopeful update. After fighting constipation for decades, it appears to have come to an end. It turned out to be a magnesium deficiency. I purchased Now Foods magnesium pills 200 mg. I take 1000 mg/day. 200 mg x daily with meals and snacks. It's water soluble. For the first time in years I'm regular and sleeping better.

kindlethelight likes this.
  6. TrustIt

TrustIt Well known member

I relate to this strongly. Fear of food.. what a rabbit hole it can be when trying to analyze my way out of pain and discomfort! Is it wheat? An ingredient in my gluten free bread? Eggs? Dairy? Lack of fiber? Too much fiber? Need probiotics? Which ones? OMG! Make it stop!!! Talk about stress!!! Letting go every time I start to feel pain has been very difficult for me. Does taking something for the terrible symptoms really perpetuate the TMS problem! Because simethecone has become my friend.

Many times I have felt so positive about it being TMS and can feel wonderful for days... then bam. And then when I cannot come up with anything that has been an upset, I revert back to something i ate and something must be wrong with my body. Aaagggghhh!. I have spoken to doctors who throw it into the IBS bucket but I absolutely will not subject my body to invasive tests like colonoscopies and the like. I read the books. I mostly know what to do. Just gotta be patient. Any support and healing stories appreciated.

7. TrustIt

8. TrustIt

Wish this was my solution. I take a lot of magnesium.

9. zenyatta20

zenyatta20 New Member

magnesium will help! but congrats on being here. i am on day four trying to provide support for other.