1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 18 HERE COMES THE FEAR!

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by mncjl123, Apr 23, 2016.

1. mncjl123

mncjl123 Peer Supporter

AHHH...I was just thinking I was making progress with some of the multiple pains, diagnosis and afflictions that I have.

But, last night I used a new toothbrush head for my oral b and as I went around a couple teeth, I had excruciating electric shock pain as I hit the tooth!

It is still going strong today and I had no sleep last night.

Is it part of my TMS? Did I injure my tooth? My gum? How long will it last? Will I have to have x rays? painful procedures? OH MY OH MY!!!! The fear and anxiety are raring! And, I know it is making it worse.

A new pain always starts the fear process going. Old pains are familiar and I know they will either pass or come back swinging, but the understanding of an old pain is easier than a new one without familiarity.

The fear is the same. But, exacerbated with a new pain. Because the whole cycle of what to do is so hard to differentiate.

Help out there? Can someone calm me down? I don't want to go to a dentist! I dont' want it to be a cracked tooth. Or , something horrible.

Perhaps I just irritated a nerve.

But then also comes the blame! Why did I get the new toothbrush head. I should have kept using my sensitive soft ones. if I hadn't used it it never would have happened. And, I would not be here writing my guts and fears out to a TMS Discussion group.

Help. It is Saturday!

2. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi mncjl123,

I hope you might get some help with fear from this article, which you may have not seen.

http://www.tmswiki.org/forum/threads/understanding-and-overcoming-fear.8574/ (Dr. Schubiner's Blog - Understanding and overcoming fear)

You are doing many things right: observing the fear, seeing how new pain starts the fear piece again, and how new location for pain starts the questioning about the real source (Is it physical???!!). In other words, you are able to witness your process. This is more powerful than you might understand right now, in the grips of a little fear. It can help to acknowledge to yourself: "You're afraid right now, and this is hard for you." Rather than fighting the fear, or making yourself wrong for it.

This self-rejection is helpful to see, and you see it clearly. How does it feel to be in fear, pain, and also beat yourself up? How does the Inner Child feel in this condition? This is to be seen with compassion... you may even have compassion for the compulsive action of rejection.

Meantime if you did break or hurt something, you'll know in time. It will become clear, and then you can take appropriate action.

Andy B

Janine28 likes this.
  3. Janine28

Janine28 Peer Supporter

Thanks mncjl123 for writing about your pain and fear. I'm going through a related but different set of fears from overusing my legs today. You're not alone in this. And it helps me to realize that there are others out there with such similar psychology and experiences. Thanks Andy for posting Dr. Schubiner's Blog on Understanding and overcoming fear.
    Janine

Last edited: Apr 23, 2016
  4. mncjl123

mncjl123 Peer Supporter

Most of my Fear stems from traumatic experiences and PAIN (physical) through my lifetime. A learned behavior because more pain causes more fear! On my 3 lists, personality, present stresses and traumatic past events. My traumatic events can fill a book! I have a lot of journaling to do in the next year or so to get through them all! Thanks Janine for your comforting words to know I am not alone.

5. Gigi

Gigi Well known member

I hope things are better today, mncjl.

6. Janine28

Janine28 Peer Supporter

Keep journaling and bringing those subconscious fears into present moment awareness. Know that you are strong and can handle it all, as distressing as life can be.

7. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, mns. Fear is such a bugaboo for just about anymore. I've had my share, and get the feeling even now, at times, after I've healed from back pain thanks to TMS and the SEProgram. Things can always trouble us. The thing is how we react to them. If we think the worst, we feel the worst. If we think positive, we feel better. It's so important to live in the present, not the past or the future. We can feel fear in the present, but it often is because of it being triggered by something in the past, or worrying about something in the future. I've found that it helps to do some meditating and deep breathing, visualizing myself in a pleasant place or situation, and with someone I like.