1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Helping a friend

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Lauren.R89, Jun 17, 2019.

1. Lauren.R89

Lauren.R89 Peer Supporter

I have a friend that has been undergoing THOUSANDS of dollars worth of treatment for TMJ and jaw issues and is still having symptoms (like 25k+ worth of out of pocket treatment for ONE dentist). She's getting into the space where random rare syndromes are being thrown at her (Eagles syndrome) which I understand to be because of a structural abnormality - though I'm not a doctor, I know these abnormalities don't have to cause pain (open to more info from someone that's heard of this disorder - don't google it, i made that mistake lol. I tend to get the symptoms I google about). I want her to feel the freedom that this work and community has to offer. If anyone has ideas about how to gently suggest or bring a friend into information about this work, I'd love ideas. Thank you so much! It's heartbreaking to watch someone struggle from doctor to doctor.

2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Heartbreaking, indeed! And I am too familiar with the desire to not "force" my beliefs on others, especially if it's someone who knows what I believe and what I've experienced, but continues to go to doctors seeking a diagnosis for their own issues.

It's really difficult when you've got a person who is convinced that their problem is unique, and even harder if their symptom is not clearly addressed in an easy-to-access resource such as one of Dr. Sarno's books.

Do you think that anxiety is at the core of her jaw issues? I believe that this is typical - I certainly used to clench my teeth, and I have the multiple crowns to prove it, but I got rid of my nightguard in 2012, because I taught myself not to do that anymore. If she has acknowledged anxiety, that's one place to start. Too many people don't take anxiety seriously - I only did so when it was threatening to make me housebound back in 2011.

For anxiety, I recommend the little 1969 book by Claire Weekes, Hope & Help For Your Nerves. Dr. Weekes didn't know Dr. Sarno, as far as I know, but she hits the nail on the head, AND she addresses the physical symptoms that manifest as a result of anxiety.

3. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Actually, here is our own wiki with a page devoted to TMJ:
    https://www.tmswiki.org/ppd/Temporomandibular_Joint_Syndrome_(TMJ) (Temporomandibular Joint Syndrome (TMJ))

Also, just googling around, I found this TMJ doc who met Dr. Sarno. He believes that TMS which manifests in jaw pain can cause physical damage if it goes on too long, and I totally agree with that when it comes to your teeth and jaws. So he says that even if TMS was the cause, that damage repair still needs to take place - but he seems to agree fully that TMS can be the cause. https://tanenbaumtmj.com/2017/08/04/dr-sarno-and-my-approach-to-tmd/ (Dr. Sarno and My Approach to TMD - Donald R. Tanenbaum, DDS MPH)

Lauren.R89 likes this.
  4. Lauren.R89

Lauren.R89 Peer Supporter

Thank you so much for looking into this! That dentist is such a great resource!