1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Helpful Audio - List of stuff to listen to if you’re feeling anxious

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Waterbear, Feb 26, 2014.

1. Waterbear

Waterbear Peer Supporter

I spent about one hour this morning, trying to convince myself that I was okay and that I would get up, go to work and be fine. Morning panic attacks used to be very common for me, but are rare now, thankfully.

Fortunately, I found a posting with Claire Weekes talking about anxiety and depression on this forum. I’m allowed to use headphones and listen to whatever I want at work, so I listened to all 4 sessions.

I felt a lot better afterwards.

It got me thinking. There seems to be many people on the forum right now who are battling anxiety. It might be really nice to compile a “List of stuff to listen to if you’re feeling anxious.”

Besides the talks from Claire Weekes, I’d recommend the documentaries by Ken Burns which are available on Netflix.

Ken Burns: The National Parks is about 12 hrs long and at a really anxious point in my life, I listened to it on repeat so I could make it through the work day. The music, voices, and stories are soothing in many ways.

Anyone know of anything else that might be helpful to listen to?

North Star likes this.
  2. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

When I'm anxious or depressed I like to listen to Eckhart Tolle. Both of his books are in audio versions, as is a recording of a retreat he did called the Art of Presence (reviewed in the Books, etc sub-forum). It's not his voice that soothes me so much, but the content of his words. And Sarno's books are in audio format, which can be good to listen to as well.

North Star likes this.
  3. North Star

North Star Beloved Grand Eagle

I listen to Sarno's book over and over again. And podcasts too. Presently, I'm enjoying James Altucher's podcast. The most recent one features and interview with Wayne Dyer.

I also have a "happy music" file on my iPod. That never fails to help.

Non-fiction or a good Sue Grafton mystery are never far away too. I find listening to non-fiction requires my attention in such a way that it distracts me from the depression tendencies.

Today, I'm fighting a serious funk so I may just drop everything and watch a British mystery on Netlix. I just discovered "George Gently" last night and really enjoyed it.

4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Excellent ideas on dealing with anxieties. I like music to meditate to and
    listening to Gilbert and Sullivan operetta songs always drive the blues away.

British mystery movies are great. I love the Miss Marple mysteries and there are several series of them on DVD from Netflix.
    Also all the other Agatha Christie mysteries and Foyle's War. But they're all so good, and take my mind off problems.

How could I forget Hercule Poirot? And the Derek Jacobi series where he is a Medieval monk? I'll look it up for a minute.
    Oh yes, it's called Cadfael.

North Star likes this.
  5. North Star

North Star Beloved Grand Eagle

Ooooooh WALT!!! You've mentioned all my favorites! Foyle's War is probably my absolute most favorite. Be sure to watch House of Elliot too.

6. chickenbone

chickenbone Well known member

I have listened to a lot of really good stuff, but my favorite right now is Guy Finley. His works have been a Godsend for me right now when I am having crippling anxiety. I can't get through the day without hearing some of his talks. He is so good at explaining all the tricks my mind plays on me and how it really works, as well as what to do about it. I subscribed to his website called guyfinleynow.org and I can download all his talks and videos. I only pay $10 per month, but he also had a load of free material available.

I hope this can be of help to someone.

7. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I'm a big Michael Kitchen fan. Have you seen him in OUT OF AFRICA as Robert Redford's best friend?
    He was terrific. You'll find more of Kitchen in a search of his name on IMDB,
    The Internet Movie Database.

8. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

An awesome story, thanks for sharing.