1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Help!!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by hollster7, Oct 9, 2017.

1. hollster7

hollster7 Newcomer

I’m desperate for a minute of pain relief.

I have deep piriformis pain which continues cramping down my leg and up my back. I’ve been sore 24-7 for a week with no relief but I’ve been in an acute cramp where there is no comfy position, no sleep and pain so intense I have trouble breathing for the last 7 hours. Prior I’ve been suffering from similar steady pain for the past 11 months.

I’ve gone through a wave of emotions. I’ve meditated, stretched, I’ve tried self talk, I’ve cried, I’ve punched my pillow, I’ve tried telling myself over and over the I’m ok, everything is going to be ok and I’m safe, I’m safe in this situation but nothing has worked.

I have a 2 year old and a 6 month old. I haven’t slept in more than 2-3 broken hours a night for a week. Haven’t slept more that 4-5 in months even though my kids sleep through the night.

I need help. I am desperate.

2. karinabrown

karinabrown Well known member

Hi holster ,

So sorry to hear about your pain. Having two small children en having pain and no rest is a hard situation.
    Your stresslevel must be high now.
    There is a lot of help here for you on the wiki, don’t know if you read some tms books or started a program here ?
    If you seen a doctor and know there’s no other psysical problem for this pain : you can start here and find relief.
    There are good programs here.

My personal opinion (not everyone will agree) get some painkillers and maybe short period sleeping pills. Maybe some extra help with the kids while you work om this ? This is not a luxery its what you need to do now ! Take care of you too ! Even if its means you have to create some rest during strange hours during the daytime. You need that.

While you have these painkillers you get some space and energy hopefully. Then start with the tms approach. I know the situation can look very desperate. But you can learn and read here and find some hope you need. You can get better.

Lily Rose likes this.
  3. hollster7

hollster7 Newcomer

Thanks for the quick reply. I generally exceed the recommended amount of Tylenol these days. I’ve also tried rounds of 2 different anti inflammatory meds.

I worry about taking stronger pain meds because I don’t want to become dependant. I also wonder if they’d even work!

4. karinabrown

karinabrown Well known member

Hello,

Okay so you have tried painmedication , can understand you don’t want to go for morfine etc.
    So leaves’ you with starting the tms work right away. Educate yourself. And start the program here on the wiki
    Also good idea to start with some muscle relax and breathing exersize to try to bring the stresslevel down.
    Time is a ‘thing ‘ i get that : how to implement in your busy day but you must. The programs takes time but its worth it !!

5. Steve Ozanich

Steve Ozanich TMS Consultant

This is one reason I asked Forest to post the "TMS Pocket Guide" that I created, precisely for this type of scenario, and for those who are traveling. Hopefully he has it up and available. Hollister's is an all too common scenario.

Watch this video of Ana, and then send me a skype add to steve.ozanich if you would like to have a quick chat to get under control.

Rest easy,
    SteveO

MWsunin12 likes this.
  6. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Dear hollster -

I hear your desperation! Definitely take Steve up on his generous offer - if you don't already know about his book, it's called The Great Pain Deception, which I like to refer to as the encyclopedia of TMS. Steve has been where you are, believe me. He will be able to point you in the direction you need to go right now.

In the meantime, please go to our Success Stories subforum and start reading. The very first post, although long, is well worth your time. WantToBelieve explains exactly what it took to change her mind and thus her health.

Good luck - we are all pulling for you!

~Jan

7. Gigalos

Gigalos Beloved Grand Eagle

Just to add to Karina's advice...
    When sleep deprivation really becomes a problem, don't be afraid to take a sleeping pill once and a while. Try to do it max. once every three days, just to take the sharp edges off without becoming dependent. Of course consult your doctor about this first, especially when you are still breast feeding. Also consider that there might be a problem if you are the only one who can keep an eye on the kids at night, so either put your babyphone on max. volume (beware, even that might not be enough to wake you when under the influence of sleeping pills) and/or ask someone else to listen in and wake you when needed.
    Take care!.... and contact Steve!

karinabrown likes this.
  8. Click#7

Click#7 Well known member

Went through something similar with pain in my feet and legs after the birth of my son. Curious to know if you had an epidural ? Before I knew about TMS...they found nothing wrong. MRI's weren't in existence and maybe that was a good thing. I was on steroids for 4 months and eventually the symptoms just went away. Felt like I was walking on rocks...no back pain. I sought counseling and that helped tremendously. The counselor kept telling me there was nothing wrong with me and I would get better. He prayed a lot. Keep the faith and call SteveO.

9. thecomputer

thecomputer Well known member

I have struggled with sleep so much too and it quickly becomes a vicious cycle.

I find that taking a sleeping pill, valium etc. A couple of hours before bed has worked better for me. If I take it when I want to sleep I can still spend the whole time up to sleeping in a panic and in pain...then I tend to sleep very badly.

If I'm able to calm down earlier on then I can naturally fall asleep more restfully. Maybe worth a go.

Also worth taking a small dose earlier and see if it's enough to calm you, and you can always take another. Less is more! Start with 5mg or equivalent of something like valium.

As someone said, only do it once in a while to reset. I normally leave a week in-between. Addiction can creep up on you

I really feel for you, I hope you can get some rest

10. MWsunin12

MWsunin12 Beloved Grand Eagle

The lack of sleep has exhausted your emotional resources. I've been there.
    Stop "trying" for now because your desperation in "trying" is sending your mind the message that you have much to fear.
    It's a cycle.

I've been in the severe lack of sleep, due to pain cycle. Please...only take stuff in right now. Don't try.
    Read success stories. Listen to healing thoughts on You Tube. Even the Buddhist chants (not in English) are relaxing in their sound. Download old Dick Van Dyke shows, or any non-stress sitcom. Whatever comforted you as a child. Watch those instead of trying to sleep. Let them play. You will doze off.

Most of all, please take Steve Ozanich up on his offer to chat. He's been where you are.
    It will help you to speak with him.

I hope you will.

Tell your mind that you're done "trying" for now.