1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Help with anxiety

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Freeange, Jul 7, 2016.

1. Freeange

Freeange Peer Supporter

I have been doing Schubiners program from his book Unlearn Your Pain with some success. However I also have terrible anxiety that is keeping me from working. I've tried using the MBS principles on it as well as meditation, breathing techniques, the Claire Weekes approach. Many days it is more debilitating than the pain (fibromyalgia).

It all started with a thyroid issue where I was over medicated which caused horrendous anxiety for 6 weeks until the medication cleared and I haven't been the same since. I think my brain got wired for anxiety and now I can't seem to rewire. The pain and anxiety build on each other and make each other worse.

Anyway the long and short of it is I'm on disability and my doc wants me to take cymbalta for the anxiety. I pretty much have to because otherwise they will cut my benefits. Being a perfectionist I feel like I failed with TMS . Am I okay to do this? I don't want to halt my progress. My perfectionist mind keeps telling me I have to do this without meds.

2. nowtimecoach

nowtimecoach Well known member

Hi Freeange... I don't really have the answer because I have had to deal with this also. I found that Schubiner's program and Claire Weeks really really really really helped me. I was completely recovered from TMS but find when stressful situations come up, I'll get some relapsing pain. I often go back to the journaling exercises from Unlearn Your Pain and it releases some of the energy. I've also had to go back on Celexa when I can't seem to break the cycle. What is different though is my awareness regarding the anxiety, its origins and how I still let my brain have its way with its "Send TMS" messages to my body. For me, my biggest lesson is to not shame or criticize myself for doing the best job I can in this moment. Keep building your awareness and you will know freedom.

3. Freeange

Freeange Peer Supporter

Thanks nowtimecoach. That is helpful. I think the Anxiety is feeding the pain at this point so I have to do something