1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Help TMS back after 1 year complete recovery?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by dusty67, May 30, 2016.

1. dusty67

dusty67 Peer Supporter

Hello I spent a year of my life with disabling back pain (bedridden for most the year) then discovered Dr Sarno, who gave me back my life as I learned I have TMS.

I had surgery to remove an ovary 2 weeks ago. Traumatic experience but recovery has been going well (much easier than hysterectomy). I am taking care of myself (mostly bed rest as per Surgeon) and looking forward to going on a 5 week trip (in one month) All of a sudden today when I got out of bed I had a horrible lower back pain. After a while I lay down which felt fine and upon standing and trying to walk it went into horrific spasms. After a while again I lay down and this time when I got up and tried to take a step the spasm was so severe it ripped through my spine jolted my whole body (I screamed out) and it almost brought me to my knees. Now it is hurting and I am afraid to lie down again. I am currently sitting and while painful its bearable.

OK so my question....could this be a "real" pinched nerve or muscle spasm from 2 weeks of bedrest or should I just assume its TMS and resume normal activity? There are the obvious things that would point to TMS....just had major surgery, off work and uncertain work future, planning a long trip. I have some pain in my neck, collar bone, front ribcage and now, when I try to walk, horrible pain in my right knee cap. From out of nowhere. All started today from doing nothing. That really seems like TMS. Pain moving. Showing up in strange places for no reason. But...Im second guessing because I have read a lot that too much bed rest can cause muscle spasms and/or pinched nerve.

Thank you all in advance for your help. I would not have survived last year without this site and all the valuable information that I was given here.

2. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

Where did you read this??? I bet not in a TMS book. You may get a muscle spasm or cramp from exercising a lot but not from resting, that gives you atrophy. According to Dr. Sarno you cannot hurt yourself in bed--unless it drops out of a fourth story window. He also says "pinched" nerves are very rare and due to trauma. Get out your TMS books for a booster.

birdsetfree likes this.
  3. birdsetfree

birdsetfree Well known member

Sounds like TMS to me! Your mind may be trying to trick you at the moment as an operation like that can leave you feeling more vulnerable in the early recovery stages. Also question your beliefs on too much bed rest causing problems, I don't think two weeks of taking it easy after an operation would cause such dramatic symptoms in your back. I think gradually getting back to normal activity would be a totally reasonable thing to do.

Pay attention to your feelings of trauma from the operation, those emotions are completely normal so allowing yourself to feel them is important too.

4. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

If you treat it as a spasm, and you know you are prone to TMS, it will probably simply go away. Spasms hurt, and then they go away in a few days. Mostly it is the fear that continues the pain. Since you know all about TMS, you are way ahead.

Tassie Devil likes this.
  5. dusty67

dusty67 Peer Supporter

Thank you everyone. Had a bad night, every time I tried to get out of bed and walk my back went into horrible spasms. I could barely take a step. Now I have searing pain in my kneecap. Hello TMS!

TennisTom, embarrassed to say I've read it online...I know, you cant believe all that you read there but at the time it made sense to me. Thank you for reminding me of Dr Sarno's viewpoint. Birdsetfree, I will be doing just that today. Might even start journaling again. Andy B Thank you for pointing that out. I am way ahead! I beat this monster before I can do it again. I am going to stay up and slowly resume normal activity today...and start the SEP again. Thanks all once again for your support and words of encouragement!