1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Help please guys need some advice

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Danie1988, Jan 3, 2020.

1. Danie1988

Danie1988 New Member

Hi guys

im currently on day 2 of the programme and all seems so relevant, the problems i have are thumb joints, wrist, elbow shoulder and knee pain all which are constant but weirdly came about straight after finding out i had nothing seriously wrong with my stomach that i suffered with for years, now im on the verge of totally accepting tms but something inside me is telling me its rheumatoid arthritis even though ive had bloods, x rays and mri scans all which came back negative, i read somewhere on the net that rheumatoid arthritis can also go undetected which my minds latched onto and i cant shake, is there any advice anyone could offer to help me ease this thinking? I feel if i can accept that part il progress but not until i find out wether its rheumatoid arthritis or not.

thanks in advance

Aimee88 likes this.
  2. Aimee88

Aimee88 Well known member

Hi Danie. In August this year I was in such pain and so fatigued, and getting scared about work and life in general, that I went to the doctor. She said she would check for arthritis and ordered bloods and an xray. I started reading about arthritis, and yes, suddenly I was sure I had rheumatoid arthritis. Then I rang the doctor's office for my results and was told over the phone that there was inflammation and rheumatoid arthritis. It all made sense. It was two weeks until I could get an appointment. I spent two week sure that I had rheumatoid arthritis. And I read about how it doesn't always show up on tests, etc. The symptoms fit and were getting worse. I consulted with my health store friends, changed my diet and started a load of supplements. I had already made time in my day to rest and was sleeping a lot. When I got to the doctor, she was very breezy and quick with me, "well, since there is no inflammation or rheumatoid arthritis, just some osteo on the xray, you are going to just take painkillers, some vitamin D and get on with it. Bye." I was stunned, to say the least. I decided to continue with the diet changes and supplements and did start feeling better. Then my osteopath suggested that I read Divided Mind, and was surprised when I went back to her to say I had read it, and wouldn't be seeing her anymore. It all made so much sense. I just went from one book to another, kept eating well, stopped focusing on the pain and started moving and exercising and doing what I felt like doing. Some days that was still to rest, and other days it was to go for long walks or work in my garden again. At some point, in the Amazon review for another book I was considering, this site was mentioned and I'm so glad I got involved here. Tonight I just made my Day 42 post in the SEP, and I'm feeling pretty good. I'm definitely not worried about any pain that shows up and I'm doing lots of journalling and working on my awareness of MY feelings (and less attention on the feelings and needs of others). One big thing that helped early on, was that as I read about arthritis everything I read said that exercise would not make it worse, so arthritis or not, I could get moving and exercising again, and that was good to know. It helped me get over the worry about the symptoms. All of this helped me to see that I wasn't caring for myself very well.

You said you are on Day 2 and you see how relevant it is. And that you are still having symptoms. I say, carry on, with optimism. I imagine you will gradually begin to focus on the emotional side and less on the physical, and then the physical stuff will be on its way out.

plum likes this.
  3. Aimee88

Aimee88 Well known member

PS: I'm having 90% less pain and symptoms than before, and I'm having a few new ones. I'm also 99% less worried about any of it, and I'm feeling my strength return, and doing more of what I want to do and sleeping just enough.

plum likes this.
  4. Danie1988

Danie1988 New Member

Aimee88
    Thanks so much for your reply that that message alone gives me strength to feel i can now concentrate more appreciate your reply

Aimee88 likes this.