1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Help! Body Shivers.

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by DieMond128, May 19, 2018.

1. DieMond128

DieMond128 New Member

I'm so new to this. I absolutely believe I have TMS. I've been doing the work for two days, and it seems like, I'm getting a new symptoms every time I make a breakthrough. Tonight I did some guided meditation/hypnosis to fall asleep because my shoulders were hurting (new pain) after signing up for Dr. Schubiner's online course, I woke up to 2 seconds of no pain, that's huge because I've been in constant pain for three months. As soon as I put a thought to it, my body went into full shivers (another new symptom). I did my Pep Talk with the pain, and said the 12 affirmations, things have settled but my legs are still spasming. This is scary stuff and I'm not dealing with it well.

2. Lizzy

Lizzy Well known member

DieMond128,

Welcome to the forum. I'm sorry you are having such a bad time. You are so new to this work and while some heal quickly, many do not. Allow yourself time to believe and trust that the pain is generated in the brain. Fear feeds the symptoms and it often takes time to get over that.

You do have some positives to hold onto. Those couple seconds of no pain and getting a new symptom are both huge for helping. Start an evidence sheet and list those and any other things that you notice as proof.

Doing Dr. Schubiner's program will be really helpful. Be kind to yourself, go slowly, and learn more about this healing. Try reading about tms a little each day, don't pressure yourself to constantly work on it.

I'm glad you're here and we are here to help!

Lizzy

HattieNC and DieMond128 like this.
  3. Dorado

Dorado Beloved Grand Eagle

I had body shivers, muscle twitches, spasms, etc. when my sympathetic nervous system was extremely overactive. They're all gone now.

Your body is responding to stress by activating fight-or-flight mode and releasing adrenaline, which can cause various symptoms including body shivers.

Ultimately, the presentation of a new symptom is nothing more than the symptom imperative, which is when you develop new TMS symptoms after realizing that your other symptoms were related to emotions and not a structural or dangerous condition. The brain is highly opportunistic like that! It wants to distract you and keep you fearful of your symptoms as well as focused on your body. Don't be afraid. Make the elimination of fear a key focus throughout your TMS journey.

If anything, this is great news, as the symptom imperative is classic TMS and can help one more easily identify and accept the fact that this is nothing more than TMS.

You'll be OK. I've been there myself. :)

Last edited: May 19, 2018
  4. DieMond128

DieMond128 New Member

I've got a preconceived timeline in my head and I know it's not helpful. I've got no choice but to return to work on Monday after 6 weeks of trying to get my back better, going back to work for a bit, the leaving again. My employers are not sympathetic to me and are threatening to fire me, as I've had issues with absenteeism is the past, all were TMS related now that I can truly reflect on it. It's a huge step, going back to the main stresser in my life, and I know that after a few days of subtle pain relief this weekend, my pain is going hit me hard. I've got to push through, and really show my mind that my body is not in danger, that I'm okay, and I can handle all the emotional stress that comes from being there. I'm not going to be one of those overnight success stories and I have to be okay with that. I can do this!

Lizzy likes this.