1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Help about journaling

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Anshushakti, Jan 18, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Anshushakti

Anshushakti New Member

I want to write essays about my emotions..But i end up writing just summaries.. Please help how to journal each and every bit of emotions.. Not able to express everything that i have inside me and looks like my emotions are not coming out 100%. Any help regarding this???

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Journaling comes easy for me because I am a writer. I could write a book about every emotion I think causes me TMS pain. But don't worry... a summary can be just as good, so long as you write down the real essence of the repressed emotion. Also, you may not be able to journal about an issue completely at one sitting. Just keep the journaling and every day or so look back at what you've written and see if more details surface.

3. Susan1111

Susan1111 Well known member

I've just started journaling and I write whatever comes to mind at a given moment. Perhaps I'm upset and need to lash out my feelings or perhaps I've read something that inspires me so I write it down in order for my mind to better process the thought.

You are not being graded on what you write... So my best advise is ease up on yourself as there is no right way it's your way. In fact a dear friend told me that some nights she just scribbles a lot of nothing just for the release it gives her.

4. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

Great advice Susan

Susan1111 likes this.
  5. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Anshushakti,

Great advice so far, I think. Journaling takes practice, and you get better, and it is never done perfectly or completely. One help is to write anything that comes to mind, without judgement or making sense, and another tip is to sense into your body as you write. You're not trying to fix anything so much in journaling as you are feeling, exploring, inquiring. Think of journaling as open-ended, without a goal. This attitude of looseness will allow more flow and insight, over time.

Another experience you may have is feeling blocked to access certain feelings. That's OK too. You can write about what it feels like to be "blocked:" unsure, frustrated, blank mind, self-pressuring to get it right, etc. All you can do is follow your experience, and precision will come as needed.

Andy B.