1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 1 Hello

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by ceturner, Aug 11, 2015.

1. ceturner

ceturner Newcomer

Hi, after reading Mind Over Back Pain last year, but without much (if any) improvement, I've decided to seriously tackle my TMS using the program here and use this forum as accountability.

I've had lower back pain that began while taking kayak lessons in 2006. It developed into sciatica and then slowly got better without any physical therapy or other treatment. However, there was always some tightness and occasionally my back would go out. When that happened, I'd do some core strength for a few days and be all better for a while. Then about a year and a half ago, I started having really bad back pain that didn't go away using the core strengthening exercises that usually helped.

I've tried physical therapy and chiropractic adjustments. X-rays didn't show anything wrong and I wasn't having enough symptoms for my Dr. to be able to recommend an MRI. The physical therapy improved the pain about 25%, but some of the exercises sometimes seem to make the pain even worse.

One huge piece of counter-evidence occurred when I went to Peru to take part ayahuasca ceremonies. Ayahuasca is a plant medicine used by indigenous healers in South America. It is illegal in the United States and is quite controversial. During one of the ceremonies, I was "told" by ayahuasca the emotional reason for my back pain and then cleansed of the subconscious thoughts and memories associated with that emotion. After that, my pain was significantly reduced for the rest of my trip. I came back home with very little back pain, but then after about 2 weeks it started to come back again.

I think there is a part of me that still believes my problem is caused by a physical issue, especially because I keep associating the pain with sitting and driving, activities that seem to make it worse. Watching the Day 1 video helped me recognized how to counter this belief. I'm hoping that reading other people's stories will help as well. :)

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, centurner. It's very interesting but not surprising that the ayahuasca ceremonies in Peru said pain can be a MindBody thing, and that your back pain lessened after learning that. Now you know, since medical tests have said you are not structurally damaged, that the back pain is from TMS, from repressed emotions and/or a perfectionist or goodist personality. Now you know about TMS causing your pain and the ASP program will help you to discover the emotional causes of your pain so you will heal. You've definitely come to the right place. Please do share your thoughts and progress.

ceturner likes this.
  3. Stella

Stella Well known member

That expediency with the plant I would put on your "evidence sheet". That experience shows you the power of the mind and the power of belief.

Then you come back home getting sucked back into old ways of "thinking" and fear fuels symptoms. But you have great awareness now to move forward to a pain free future.

I have no doubt you will be successful.

ceturner likes this.
  4. ceturner

ceturner Newcomer

Thanks for the support and encouragement! I feel like I might be improving a little bit already. I'm really diving into this program and feel very optimistic about it. Reading the stories from live people helps so much. :)

JanAtheCPA likes this.