1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Heart Palpatations with TMS?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by jentwink, Nov 18, 2014.

1. jentwink

jentwink New Member

I am wondering if anyone else ever gets this? My mom has been struggling with heart palps for a couple years now. Sometimes they can last all day. The first time it happened, she was hospitalized for 3 days. Docs did all the tests but could find no physical cause for it. ---Needless to say, she has also had severe, debilitating back pain for years, which is what eventually led us to learn about TMS, but I am wondering if heart palps play a role in it too?

2. Colly

Colly Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Jentwink and welcome to the forum. I've had arrhythmia on and off over the years. I've been checked out by a cardiologist and got the all clear. It tends to crop up when I'm stressed and exhausted. Dr Sarno refers to heart palpitations and arrhythmia as a manifestation of TMS in his book 'the Mindbody perscription'. Your Mam should be eating this book for breakfast dinner and tea!

Your Mam can safely assume her heart palps are TMS (she got the all clear after 3 days of tests after all). Ask her to journal when symptoms crop up, so she can be aware of the triggers. And most importantly, tell her to ignore them - completely, and they will pass.

Cheers, Colly

JanAtheCPA and Ellen like this.
  3. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

jentwink,

Heart palpitations were one of the many TMS symptoms I've had that would come and go. Since doctors have ruled out a medical cause for your mother, it is likely TMS. Colly's advice above is spot on.

JanAtheCPA and Colly like this.
  4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I think deep breathing will help your mom.

Inhale through the nose to the count of 4, hold for a few seconds, then exhale through the mouth to the count of 4.
    Do this slowly while telling yourself that she is feeling calm and relaxed. This deep diaphramic breathing has a
    profound calming effect.

I found some very good relaxation videos free on YouTube. Just type in "relaxation videos."

Also, a relaxing yoga technique is to massage the "valley point," the fleshy place between the thumb and index finger
    on both hands. Rub the area gently on one hand while using the same finger and thumb of the other hand.
    It calms down the mind.

Tell your mom I said hi and hope this helps.

5. AC45

AC45 Well known member

Hi All,

I am 13 months into my TMS journey.

I often wake up at 3 am with a racing heart and anxiety.

It sounds like this is a common TMS symptom.

I had 2 EKGs and a trip to the emergency room that my doc insisted on.

I know it is TMS but it is easy to scare yourself when you Google these kinds of symptoms.

Thanks for your thoughts on this thread!

-AC45

6. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Another (short) answer from personal experience: Yep! :D

AC45 likes this.