1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 1 Healing Hopes from Australia

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by LeonieAnne, Dec 22, 2014.

1. LeonieAnne

LeonieAnne Newcomer

Hello everyone,

Three months ago, I underwent back surgery. I was hopeful it would remedy the severe back pain and sciatica I’ve been experiencing over the past 18 months mostly on the left side. My diagnosis includes a bulging disc, L5/S1, squashed nerves, arthritis and disc degeneration. Despite the surgery, the pain has returned. Hip bursitis is the most recent diagnosis with no relief from a cortisone shot I had two weeks ago. (The third injection in 14 months). Many of you will understand, I’m at my wits end on so many levels and the pain medication is no longer effective. Lying down is the only posture where I can find some relief, although cramping is severe in my left leg and left foot at times. Although I am very excited at the prospect of becoming pain free, my main consideration is fully appreciating that this agony is TMS. Today is day one and I’m willing to work through this program. I thank you all in advance for your support and understanding.

2. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Welcome to the Forum! Glad to have you join us. Please keep us informed about how you are doing, and feel free to ask questions any time. We are all here to support one another.

welcomea

3. Laudisco

Laudisco Well known member

Welcome to the group LeonieAnne! Nice to see another Australian here. :) I hope you find it helpful and informative!

Cheers,
    Lauren

4. Stella

Stella Well known member

You have come to the right place for sure. You are going on an amazing journey. I have had many of the symptoms you are experiencing.

5. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, LeonieAnne, I too welcome you to the forum. I had severe back pain two years ago,
    then discovered Dr. Sarno and TMS and did the SEP and the pain left me. But I had to believe
    100 percent in TMS. I thought maybe at least 10 percent was structural, from aging,
    but when I believed 100 percent in TMS, I healed.

For me, it was helpful to journal about my childhood. I discovered repressed anger from
    being a boy in the 1930s Great Depression when my parents divorced because of financial stresses
    when I was 7 years old. It left me with insecurity that was triggered by recent financial problems
    of my own. I'm now alone in that, and Dr. Sarno says divorce and money troubles are very common
    causes of TMS pain. I've been learning to live with insecurity and remembering that I am not alone.

Hope you and Stella and everyone else has a happy holiday.

Laudisco likes this.
  6. alexandra

alexandra Peer Supporter

Welcome! I am almost cured from back pain, nerve pain in both legs, hips, bum, as well as arms. You can heal yourself.

Laudisco and Pandagirl like this.
  7. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

Alexandra

Seeing you are the only person that I know of with same nerve pain issues as myself I was wondering are u taking any meds and if not how are u getting threw bad nights of pain.

8. alexandra

alexandra Peer Supporter

I have been fortunate enough that even though I have had wide spread nerve pain, I have only experienced horrible pain a year ago ( I have been in pain for 3 years nonstop total ) I remember crying from the burning in my back and legs, I slept with ice, advil and gabapentin. Since then my symptoms have been up and down but never too painful for me to take medication, I suffered panic attacks, vertigo and other symptoms as well. I am now able to jog and live a normal life with the pain at a 1 or less on a 1 to 10 scale. Letting go of fear of activities was a huge obstacle to over come but I have seen amazing results in doing so. I wish everyone the best in their journey...

Laudisco likes this.
  9. alexandra

alexandra Peer Supporter

I have been fortunate enough that even though I have had wide spread nerve pain, I have only experienced horrible pain a year ago ( I have been in pain for 3 years nonstop total ) I remember crying from the burning in my back and legs, I slept with ice, advil and gabapentin. Since then my symptoms have been up and down but never too painful for me to take medication, I suffered panic attacks, vertigo and other symptoms as well. I am now able to jog and live a normal life with the pain at a 1 or less on a 1 to 10 scale. Letting go of fear of activities was a huge obstacle to over come but I have seen amazing results in doing so. I wish everyone the best in their journey...

Boston Redsox and Ellen like this.
  10. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

I also suffer from severe anxiety and panic attacks ....I tried doing it without meds but could not leave the house on top of that my nerve pain went from a 2 to a 6 I accept tms 100 percent but I need to stay on meds for know for my self care and mind.

11. Laudisco

Laudisco Well known member

Thanks for sharing your success story Alexandra!! That really encouraged me as I've had neuropathic pain for the last twenty months in my arms, legs, hands, feet, buttocks, and basically all over my body. I've been on Lyrica for quite a long time now as the pain is fairly consistent (as in every day) and excruciating, but I look forward to the day when I no longer have to take any painkillers. :)

I think the biggest thing I'm working through is no longer being afraid of the pain. It has been easier to get rid of my back, neck and shoulder aches because the pain is less sudden and intense. However, the neuropathic pain has been a bit more persistent - although I know I am already healing.

alexandra likes this.