1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Having surgery leg pain enough

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by whofeelslove, Apr 27, 2015.

1. whofeelslove

whofeelslove Peer Supporter

Dear tms community
    I've come to figure out that reading so many tms books etc etc and trying to feel my emotions and neural path ways etc etc and writing til I can't write no more and my leg pain(read leg pan not back pain) getting worse and me having no quality of life and driving a truck 12 hours a day in chicago which is very stressful and tms support in wisconsin zero %. I am having surgery for foraminal stenosis after 2 years of chronic pain and having a narrower than normal spinal canal.. And my pain correlates to my structural location with LL-5 nerve root and outer calf major pain on standing only NOT SITTING. I know I've intellectualized tms in my mind to keep away from my emotions to some extent and I'm having EMDR therapy but my pain is just to much nerve pain

2. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

Good luck! I'd be the last one to try to talk you out of it. I totally understand how you feel and may do a hip-replacement myself someday. Dr. Sarno has said they are doing miracles today with surgery. You gave TMS a good go and it hasn't worked. Thanks for being up-front about it and letting us know. Report back on the results if you'd like to.

edit: Did you see any of these TMS practitioners in Wisconsin?

Wisconsin
    Luke Fortney MD (Physician)
    Assistant Professor
    University of Wisconsin Integrative Medicine Program
    621 Science Drive
    Madison, WI 53711
    (608) 262-9355
    (800) 323-8942
    Insurance Accepted: Medicaid, Medicare, Humana, BCBS, Wellpoint

Douglas Hoffman MD (Physician)
    11134 North State Road 77
    Hayward, WI, 54843
    (715) 634-5505
    or
    1101 9th Street North
    Virginia, WI, 55792
    (715) 634-5505

Roman Y. Kaplan, MD (Physician)
    Oshkosh, Wisconsin
    888 838-7051
    902 236-6311

David Johnson, MD (Physician)
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin
    414 935-8000
    Insurance Accepted: Aetna, Cigna, Medicaid, Medicare, WellCare, Humana, BCBS, United Health Care, Wellpoint

[​IMG]
    Nancy SelfridgeNancy Selfridge, MD
    (Physician)
    Sun Prairie, Wisconsin
    Insurance Accepted: Medicaid, Medicare, BCBS, Wellpoint

3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Thanks, Tom. I'm sure your list will help a lot of TMSers.

4. whofeelslove

Thanx Tom mate
    I tried every tms physician you listed in wisconsin a few months ago and non of them could be located any more. That's why I had to see dr Stracks in chicago and I'm still scheduled with dr schubiner in Detroit in May

5. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Interesting. Maybe those Wisconsin doctors are too busy treating patients to convince them they have TMS.
    Or they are busy practicing TMS healing on themselves.

A session with Dr. Schubiner... wow, are you lucky. He's great.

6. whofeelslove

Thanks Walt this is what I can't get over ..see my images from last week..Dr schubiner is going to take a close look

Attached Files:

7. Lynn B

Lynn B New Member

May I ask...have you attended a program specifically modeled after Dr. Sarno? Have you read his book Heal Your Back?

8. Lynn B

Lynn B New Member

Just something to think about...I am brand new to this forum. I joined it to help me navigate through the world of TMS. I am four months post a program I attended in Utah for chronic pain. The program was modeled after the book, The Mind Body Prescription, by Dr. John Sarno. I won't go into great detail just yet regarding my experience and success, but do want you to know that I have suffered various pain issues my entire life. One such issue is a sciatic nerve pain issue. I have numerous diagnosis regarding the state of my back, and I have chosen many methods to "cure" it. I had a portion of a herniated disc removed when I was a teenager, after 3 continuous years of pain. The surgery was a success...or that's at least what I thought. My whole thinking regarding back issues, yes I did say back, though MY pain was/is always LEG related, has changed dramatically. I am convinced that my success has had much more to do with TMS and it's ability to interchange one pain issue for another. I'm actually dealing with leg pain currently. It's been bothering me for close to two months now. However, I had a breakthrough about 1 and 1/2 weeks ago, and I literally had NO LEG PAIN for 3 days straight. It did return. I'm currently trying to decipher what exactly, is my emotional issue NOW that has caused the pain to return.
    The point I'm trying to make, is that for someone like myself, who has dealt with pain issues my entire life, to now feel that the majority of issues were connected to TMS, rather than actual physical changes, is major. The fact that I DID HAVE 3 DAYS OF NO PAIN, only makes me more convinced. The time of not being in pain came after an emotional realization, which I acknowledged and dealt with. It also occurred during a visit with my two daughters whom I hadn't seen in months. I was extremely happy to be with them, and even more excited because I didn't experience the horrible pain while I was with them! It makes no sense, if it were purely due to known back issues, as I spent 18 hours in the car, as well as two nights on a pull-out couch. Those things alone would CAUSE pain!

9. whofeelslove

Hi Lynne
    There is no course specific in wisconsin and I have healing back pain. The divided mind and mind body prescription thanx and read all 3 and the great pain deception and back in control....
    Thanx ian

10. whofeelslove

Sorry just read your story and I'm off to get ruled out by Dr schubiner in May

11. Zumbafan

Zumbafan Well known member

I heard Dr Schubiner speak at a conference yesterday, he has a program that may help you, and keep you from having surgery. He explained the power of the brain. You may just need a different way of accessing the repressed emotions.
    The importance of sleep was mentioned. Is yours adequate?
    Trust you have a successful visit with Dr Schubiner, and he gives you some hope.

12. Mala

Mala Well known member

@whofeelslove. Wow hats off to u for doing all that driving in spite of the pain & also on getting to see Dr. Schubiner. I've heard he is very good, very thorough. Do tell him about all the TMS work that you have done so far. Living in pain is no fun, in fact its an awful place to be so whatever decision you make whether it is to have surgery or to do something else I wish u success & all the best .

Good luck!

Mala

13. Ryan

Ryan Well known member

If possible I would wait to see schubiner before you get surgery. If you do get surgery best of luck. How long have you been doing tms work? Some people like ozanich took almost a year to see improvement.

Those mri's do more harm then good these days. Doctor are trying to find things that are not real problems. I know my buddy steve ozanich had severe spinal stenosis where he could not fit paper in his spinal canal and he has no more pain. If you want more inspiration, try reading you are the placebo by Joe dispenza. It's amazing what that man healed from, he had 3 well known back surgeons say he would never live a normal life again without surgery. Boy did he prove them wrong.

Wishing you best of luck and hope you get some relief with tms healing or surgery, the choice us yours.

Ryan

14. Lynn B

Lynn B New Member

Whofeelslove - I live in NY. I traveled to Utah out of despair. I was in constant chronic pain. I was having stress seizures and barely remember travelling to Utah. I spent 3 weeks learning and practicing the program. It literally saved my life. I'm still a work in progress, but I left there without the neck and hand braces, prescription pain meds, prescription muscle relaxants, as well as discontinuing 4 other prescription medications that I arrived there with. I also stopped smoking.
    I'm now 4 months post program, and have eliminated a total of 9 prescription medications, still not smoking, dealing with diagnosed major depression, PTSD, anxiety( for which I was on 6 mgs Xanax) OCD, bi-polar II and fibromyalgia, all without medication. I was also experiencing pain from being struck by a vehicle as a pedestrian. Other than my sciatic pain...which I proved I CAN HEAL, I'm not in any other pain. I just returned from a brisk walk with intervals of jogging.
    My point is....is that I was only able to accomplish this by first attending the program.

15. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

Well WFL, I just tried contacting ALL the TMS physicians listed for Wisconsin and they ALL seem to have fallen through a black-hole! Not one number is active. I left a message at a complementary medicine clinic for Nancy Selfridge and so far nobody has heard of anybody to do with Dr. Sarno in the state of Wisconsin--what's up with that? Any Cheeseheads know where all the "TMS" docs landed in your state, the wiki's list needs some serious updating for your proud state.

tt/lsmft

16. tjlazer

tjlazer New Member

Whofeelslove, what ended up happening? Did you have surgery?

I have a similar situation! Sciatica and left leg pain/weakness and foot numbness for 1.5 years. No back pain since the onset of the leg/foot pain and numbness. (Back pain was bad for 5 months before that but went away) Having a hard time thinking that it's TMS at this point. MRI's show moderate left L5/S1 foraminal stenosis and they recommend surgery to open up the canal to give the nerve root more room.