1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Have your symptoms disappeared when you went to the doctor?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by newlearner, Feb 23, 2022.

Tags:
  1. newlearner

newlearner Peer Supporter

With the exception of low blood pressure. White coat syndrome raises your blood pressure when you go to the doctor so your low blood pressure will be normal.

Excluding that, have your symptoms ever disappeared at the dr?

2. miffybunny

miffybunny Beloved Grand Eagle

I've witnessed that scenario with my father who is a retired physician. At home he was having memory problems and anxiety but at the doctors office, he scored very high on memory tests and presented as totally rational and calm. Imo my dad is very comfortable in the doctor setting and it's where he feels "safe" in some weird way. When he's home with my mom he becomes needy and super anxious ...even panicked if she leaves the house to do errands. It all comes down to the person's brain and what they perceive as "safe".

Brad renfro and LaughingKat like this.
  3. Mr Hip Guy

Mr Hip Guy Well known member

Doctors are viewed as authority figures so we often feel reassured when we see them, especially if they make a confident diagnosis. There's then a flush of hope/optimism which abates later when out of their office as reality sinks in on what they diagnosed (and they're not there to reassure us anymore, instead often replaced by the dark/cold internet and Google! :)

I've seen this so many times with chronic issues of mine and I've heard the same anecdotes from others (particularly Edy Lindenstein of the Mind/Fitness podcast).

4. LindenSwole

LindenSwole Peer Supporter

This is true for me. I can say that I no longer take the allergy or asthma medications that I had been prescribed for years and years.

Maybe one of the bigger ones was what happened to my cholesterol bloodwork. Below are the results of my last two labs; 3/17 was before I knew about TMS and I weighed 160lbs. 6/21 was after really understanding TMS and weighing 180lbs. The Total and the LDL had a big dropoff.

lipids 2.JPG

Mr Hip Guy likes this.