1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Have you ever had pain without a structural cause?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by leomessi45, Feb 20, 2021.

Tags:
  1. leomessi45

leomessi45 Peer Supporter

Essenntially a long time ago I went to the doctor because my back was hurting. he did an exam and found nothing wrong except for tight hamstrings and hips. he wrote me a physical therapy script and advised me not to return to activity until I am feeling 100% fine. Looking back at this, this sounds odd as there was no real injury. At the same time once my therapist told me I was fine I experienced a very sudden pain reduction

Does this happen a lot to people?

Last edited: Feb 20, 2021
  2. miffybunny

miffybunny Beloved Grand Eagle

Yes, very common. You just described a nocebo and a placebo effect in action.

3. Cog

Cog Peer Supporter

OH yes..... in fact my neck and back pain had no structural injury when it started...

4. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

Yes. Every time I had a bad case of TMS, it was without any structural cause. Your tight muscles are result of a fight-flight response by your body to stress. Tight muscles go hand-in-hand with pain.

5. leomessi45

Ahh ok I see. So what did the doctor write in his notes. Mine just wrote experiencing muscoloskeletal back pain

6. leomessi45

Ahh ok I see. So what did the doctor write in his notes. Mine just wrote experiencing muscoloskeletal back pain