1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 16 Have I told anyone about TMS?

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Lilibet, Jul 4, 2013.

1. Lilibet

Lilibet Peer Supporter

I've only talked to my husband and a friend who lives across the country. My husband is always supportive. He zeroed in five years ago on the possibility that my various ailments and back pain were stress-related. I think he is experiencing some TMS pain in his back, but I haven't told him that. :) I hope that watching my journey will bring him to that realization on his own.

My friend is open to new ideas, but very oriented to physical causes and remedies. I haven't told her much, other than sending her a link to the Wiki, and telling her that I'm doing the SEP when she asked about my back. She hasn't said much, other than telling me about a cream she's going to use for tendinitis, thinking it might help me. I thanked her, and just said I haven't had any success with creams and that I'm hoping my SEP will help. No response. I suspect a lot of her stuff is TMS, but I'm not going to tell her that.

I don't plan to tell anyone else because I don't think most people I know would get it. Some people would feel "blamed" for their ailments and be defensive, as I would have been. And I don't want anyone checking with me to see if it's working. That's like telling people you're on a diet. Too much pressure! :)

2. Lori

Lori Well known member

I remember suggesting to someone that their TMJ was a TMS symptom, and her reaction was "my pain is REAL". yes, that's what she said.:eek:
    I wanted to say, oh so my pain, being laid up in bed for weeks, was not REAL! if only she knew how bad the pain really was.

How about making your own progress first and then you can tell people how you have healed. They won't be able to argue with success!!

3. Lilibet

Lilibet Peer Supporter

Exactly, Lori. It's so much better to wait until someone asks why you are doing so well. In the meantime, I don't want to try to explain what I'm doing! :)

Emily and gailnyc like this.