1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 15 Has your pain been moving around?

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by HattieNC, Mar 30, 2017.

1. HattieNC

HattieNC Well known member

Has your pain been moving around? How has this affected your belief in the diagnosis?

Some of my pain has been consistent for the past two years- especially in the buttocks and coccyx areas. About six months ago, I also began having upper back muscle spasms and neck pain. This week, I’ve had a recurrence of sciatica behind my left knee (most of my pain is in the left side of my body). However, I’m not letting the sciatica freak me out like it did last year because I had success in December by yelling at it to leave me alone. The yelling technique hasn’t worked this time, so I’m mostly trying to ignore it and focus on living life and feeling emotions. I even played softball last night with my grandchildren; purposefully bending over multiple times to pick up the ball. I'm trying to look at the sciatica recurrence as a confirmation of my belief in TMS, but I'd be less than truthful if I didn't say I find it somewhat discouraging.

During the journal portion of the SEP today, I wrote a dialog with the left side of my body and allowed my body to respond back without judgment. It was an impactful exercise. I’m grateful to contributors to the SEP for developing the diverse journaling activities. Now, I actually look forward to journaling instead of dreading it like I used to!

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, HattieNC. I'm glad you are more comfortable with journaling. I found it to be the most helpful in healing my back pain. I discovered emotions I had repressing sine I was a boy.

Pain does move around in TMS, and it can come and go. I've been pain free from back aches most of the time, but today I feel it again. Probably because of an emotionally stressful morning... bills, computer problems, reading the news online. It's given me gas and some back ache. I'm relaxing, deep breathing, laughing. I suggest you do the same and find ways to be happy. Play more with your grandchildren.