1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Has battling TMS ever interfered with your sleep?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by maxpower, Mar 16, 2021.

1. maxpower

maxpower New Member

Lately, I've been doing a great job of being apathetic to my pelvic pain during the day. But at night, I fall asleep, and then if I wake up at night, it's like my brain takes all the perseverating it would normally do during the day and focuses it on that one spot of pain, and it's ALL I think about. And lately, I lay away for a few hours thinking about pain that during my waking hours, doesn't really even bother me. I know it's just another outlet for the energy in my brain that has to go somewhere, but I'm curious if anyone else has had sleep disruption and intense hyperfocus on symptoms while trying to sleep?

2. miffybunny

miffybunny Beloved Grand Eagle

A shift in mindset is required here. The mere fact that you view TMS as something to "battle" reveals that you are in a state of resistance. You have given it sooooo much power and respect. The truth is, it's not this outside force or entity. It's just you and your anxiety creating the symptoms. You are actually fighting yourself. What that does is constantly put your brain into fight and flight because it thinks it's on a battlefield and needs to protect you from danger. Once you can see TMS exactly for what it is, and view it accurately , it loses it's power and can no longer intimidate you. It's actually nothing!

Mars497@ and TG957 like this.
  3. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

Sleep disturbances are very common for those with anxiety and depression. @miffybunny is spot on, it is your anxiety that keeps you awake. Physical and emotional pain are connected vessels. When your physical pain went down, your brain switched to the emotional pain. Once you start addressing your anxiety as your TMS symptom, you should see improvements in your sleep. For anxiety, I highly recommend Claire Weekes books and audio, she's the best.

Mars497@ and miffybunny like this.