1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Has anyone tried Dr. Schubiner´s program?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Linnea, Apr 6, 2012.

1. honeybear424

honeybear424 Well known member

Ugh...not feeling that great this afternoon. Guess I need to be grateful for any little bit of relief that I get at this point. Think it's time to start The Divided Mind.

I liked your story. Thanks for sharing! :)

2. Beach-Girl

Beach-Girl Well known member

Honeybear:

Sorry to hear you're not feeling well. My pain recently moved into my neck/shoulder area and I am not feeling the groove either. I did Dr. Schubiner's program. I highly recommend it. Did you do the SEP here on the wiki? I can't remember. Anyway. That too is a great place to start. Writing and connecting the dots seems to be key here. And for the life of me, with all my writing and working on this, I can't figure out why my pain has moved and why it's getting worse. I am trying my best to ignore it, but it is really painful right now. And so I'm writing in the mornings and trying to work through this. No idea really where it came from.

So the bad days happen - and you're right. We hang on to those moments where we feel good. Hang in there and keep posting. You're gonna get to the bottom of this yet, and have a pain free life.

BG

3. honeybear424

Sorry you are stuck with neck and shoulder pain now, BG. :-( Maybe there are different emotions that are trying to come to the surface for you and that's why your brain is hitting you with the neck/shoulder pain.

I just started the SEP on the wiki. I was thinking of waiting until I am done with that before I get Unlearn Your Pain. I have a tendency to get overwhelmed easily because I want to do everything perfectly. No big surprise, huh? lol Thought it best if I take this slowly. Unfortunately, I am feeling really bad this morning. Even woke up in the middle of the night with strange pains all over. Not sure if it was just anxiety or what. And now I just plain hurt from my upper back and shoulders to the top of my head and the tips of my fingers. This is the way I have been for the past several months. Prior to that, it's always been my head, neck, and jaw stuff for years until about a year ago when the shoulder crap started. Honestly, I am so terrified that this pain is going to take over my entire body!

I have to remain optimistic, but sometimes it is really hard to...

4. Beach-Girl

I hear ya Honeybear! I did exactly what your plan is. I did the SEP - which is excellent, and then I went on to Dr. Schubiner's book. It was about a month ago when my neck and shoulder began to hurt. I see it as good news, but can't quite put the pieces together yet.

Sorry your pain is so bad right now. You can try and tell it to knock it off, or I find that doing something I really enjoy during the day helps me to not focus on the pain. Is there something you love to do? Like outdoors? Our weather has been so nice as of late that I've been trying to spend a lot of time on the beach. I don't seem to think about my pain much there. And it's not until I've totally overdone it that I feel badly. I don't simply walk the beach, but run the rocks and look for cool treasures brought in by the ocean. Nice way to spend an afternoon.

You should start to feel something, whether it's better or the pain moves again, as you work the program. Good luck, I'll be looking for that "I'm better!" post soon.

BG

veronica73 likes this.
  5. Jesse MacKinnon

Jesse MacKinnon Peer Supporter

Last week my pain moved from my low and middle back to my lower legs and knees where i never have pain. Something fishy but reason for optimism.

6. Linnea

Linnea Peer Supporter

Your brain is playing tricks with you, for sure Jesse! Outwit it! Easier said than done, I know, but you must be on to something otherwise it wouldn´t so desperate be trying to fool you.

Sorry to hear that your pain was worse today Honeybear, maybe the same as written above goes for you too? Sending some strength across for you.

7. honeybear424

Thanks, girls (BG & Linnea). It feels good to now have a place to go for support and I am grateful for that. People out there don't truly understand unless they, too, suffer with chronic pain. This morning I made the mistake of mentioning my pain issue to a somewhat new friend. Right off the bat, she asked me if I have amalgram fillings or silicone implants. Ha! Okay, that just ruined me for hours! Why is it that my mind is so willing to jump to any other physical cause for my pain?! Guess that is par for the course with TMS, isn't it?

8. veronica73

veronica73 Well known member

Unfortunately, some people go from Western/"mainstream" medicine to "alternative" medicine with that same mindset of "something is wrong with you"--so instead of tight muscles it's dental fillings, etc. A friend called me a few months ago and said he noticed I looked tired and was worried it was because of EMFs. Luckily by the point he brought that up I was so past the physical stuff that I just let that roll by and tried to focus on the positive aspect that he was concerned about my health.

9. Jesse MacKinnon

Jesse MacKinnon Peer Supporter

Boy, (girls) I hear ya. I'm surrounded by new age advice givers but it's all about some new way to fix the structural problems. I can't tell you how many chiros, pts, osteopaths, hypnotists, etc-etc-etc I've been to on the advice of friends. No one has ever mentioned the possibility of an emotional cause. I guess the xrays are proof positive to practitioners and I want someone else to fix it for me. We gotta keep reminding ourselves, and each other there's nothing wrong with our bodies

10. Beach-Girl

My pain is moving too Jesse. It's kinda worse, but I'll take it since I know it's a sign of improvement. And every time I talk about TMS to friends, they have a new "somebody" for me to see. An interesting story here.

I was seeing this amazing Chinese acupuncturist in the city closest to me which is a 90 minute drive one way. This man has cured many ailments in people I know personally including stroke side effects, and Hepatitis. He works on doctors and their families too. He is psychic, I recognized it right away. Anyway, saw him a few times. He kept telling me "Your back is totally healthy." to which I replied "But my back really hurts!" And he would simply walk away. The last time I saw him, he must have said the same thing a half dozen times - "your back is totally healthy". And when I asked when I should return he said "Too far. Too expensive. Don't come back." - Wow. The Healer tells me to go away.

That's when I finally read the Mindbody Prescription. I know he "knows" about this himself, but is very busy, doesn't speak English well, and didn't ever get there with me since I never went back. But here I am now, and I realize he's right. My back IS totally healthy. It's the other stuff that's even harder to get rid of - that is in the way.

Exactly.

BG

11. honeybear424

Yep, I have spent the past 20 years trying to get someone else to "FIX ME". All along, I have avoided putting my trust in the only one person that can do exactly that...ME!

Amazing story, BG! Thanks for sharing. :)

Just a little while ago, I was feeling so much pain. I finally got fed up and started yelling at my brain to knock it off and let me have my life back. I told it that I appreciate it's concern and all, but that its little antics are not going to work anymore with me. I know what it's up to and I am fully capable of dealing with my emotions just fine...Thank you very much! Funny thing...I felt better, my jaw is much less tight and tense. (I think I freaked the fur babies out a little bit :oops:, but I think it was worth it.)

veronica73 likes this.
  12. Beach-Girl

This kinda cracked me up. Your fur babies want you to get well. I can assure you they are trying their hardest to make sure mom is OK. But that is for another forum.......I love the way you tell you brain "politely" that you "appreciate its concern". Kinda made me laugh because you are SO determined Honeybear ( and yay about your jaw) but you are being so polite about it. Whatever it takes....right?

Keep going and continue yelling. The kids can take it!

BG