1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Has anyone made progress while on SSRI medication?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by music321, Sep 19, 2016.

1. music321

music321 Well known member

After having read through success stories, it seems that part of "recognizing" the psychogenic source of the pain is not simply an "intellectual" understanding that emotional issues are causing the pain, but rather really "feeling" the understanding.

I'm currently taking prozac, which blunts my emotions. I never feel particularly happy or sad. I can't cry. I feel that since I can't cry, I can't purge myself of negative emotions.

Has anyone here made real progress while on SSRI meds?

2. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

I am on a ssri and,I dont know what you mean with the term progress? but it help me with my anxiety to the point it has lowered my very high blood pressure to normal high... which I could not keep down and my pcp was very concerned with it..and I am also on a blood pressure med...but regarding my tms its done nothing in regards to stunting my emotions I am able to feel all of them without any issues.

3. music321

I actually just replied to a similar thread that is far older. Though this is months old at this point, I'll reply anyway. When I say "progress", I mean removing hindrances and handicaps in my life related to TMS. For quite a while, I felt the key to doing this was to "intellectually" understand that TMS is caused my suppressed emotions, and not orthopedic problems. I now think that the answer is somewhat different. I think to conquer TMS one must be in touch with emotions. One must be able to feel a range of emotions, especially those that are "negative".

As a result of Prozac, I am largely unable to feel emotions. My emotions are dulled, and experienced as "empty" or "not empty" instead of "happy", "sad", etc., as I used to experience them. I only am able to have a good cry once a year or so, if that. I am so addicted to the meds, that I can't stop without serious problems. I would assume that these problems are exacerbated by TMS. So, around it goes, a terrible cycle.

4. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

I've recovered from TMS while still taking an antidepressant, though it is Trazodone which is not an SSRI. I am still able to feel my emotions. In my case, it didn't hinder recovery.

5. music321

Do you feel that your emotional range/expression is blunted?

6. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

It's hard for me to determine this because: 1) I've taken this antidepressant for about 30 years, 2) I had a lifetime pattern of repressing emotions, 3) I'm not really sure what a normal emotional range/expression is. I've never been one to cry much, as was taught very early that it wasn't allowed. Despite all this, when I was working through the program in Unlearn Your Pain, I did feel many emotions, and I think I cried a few times. I have no way of knowing if I would have felt more if I wasn't taking an antidepressant. But I was able to recover from TMS.

I wouldn't let taking an SSRI make you believe you can't recover. It is still possible to feel your emotions when you are journaling and going about your day. Also, it is rare for TMS to leave due to tapping into a specific memory and feeling the emotions associated with it. (read Ozanich posts on this topic). It is more about exploring why we repress emotions, looking for these patterns, and making corrections in our response to current stress that may trigger those old patterns. For me a lot of it has to do with changing my thinking patterns, and here I believe the antidepressant helps me. When I'm not taking it, my thinking is very negative, and it is hard for me to have hope that anything will improve.

I suggest continuing to work on the SEP or other TMS program, and give it time to work.

7. CarboNeVo

CarboNeVo Well known member

I can confirm what Ellen said in her comment about the AD.
    I dont take antidepressants but tramadol which has similar behavior as ADs. For me it kills all my TMS pain. I have more or less recovered from TMS but during stressful periods it hits me back and I have not yet figured out how to deal with those flare ups, only by taking tramadol.
    I noticed while on tramadol i am a bit euphoric and in the same time my chronic repressive thinking patterns are cut off. In general im much more calm and less anxious. This kills all my TMS pain unless i am under big stress.
    Read @ezer's post.. imo he explaines TMS the best way

8. Sonic

Sonic Peer Supporter

Interesting topic. I'm sure I read in Steve Os GPD that drugs like these can suppress the emotions we feel and can be counter productive.

I'm on them myself (month 4) and can't say that they have made me emotionally numb. Still an anxious mess and can feel anger still from events from the past.

I thought I was improving from my pain at a good pace till a lifting incident set me back a bit.

Suppose it's different strokes for different folks.

9. Shosh

Shosh Peer Supporter

Hi music. I was on Prozac for many years and felt the same way -- my emotions were totally blunted and on ice. I couldn't cry or feel overly up or down. I had to wean off of it very slowly over 6 months (I took them for OCD and anxiety). So I can relate to how you feel on them.