1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Has anybody had a phone/skype appointment with a physician?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by determined_75, Dec 13, 2019.

Tags:
  1. determined_75

determined_75 New Member

For those who don't live near a TMS physician and have opted to speak with one over phone/video, how has it worked out for you? Are there any 'prerequisites' for the appointment, such as having been seen by other physicians first to rule out physical problems? I had a MRI for my back many years ago which showed the 'normal abnormalities' (slight disc herniation, L5-S1, stenosis, etc.), but I'm convinced (at least consciously) my pain is due to TMS. Still though, even after speaking with a TMS therapist, symptoms haven't subsided. I'd like to speak with a physician.

Any advice is welcome.

Thanks!

2. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

I had a Skype appointment with Dr. Geitzen (here on TMS wiki list) and it was very helpful. I sent him my records via email, he reviewed them and assured me that I didn't have structural damage. That was very liberating and set me on the path of recovery. I am back to normal life now.

Dorado and Patrisia like this.
  3. Patrisia

Patrisia Peer Supporter

@TG957 yes, I spoke to Dr. Geitzen as well!

Dorado likes this.
  4. determined_75

determined_75 New Member

Thanks for your reply. There's a small part of me that's wondering if I need to hear it from a MD that there's nothing physically wrong with me. Perhaps I'll schedule an appointment.

5. determined_75

determined_75 New Member

Did it help you with your recovery?

6. TG957

Absolutely. It cleared my doubts and set me on the right path. I had the right expectation going in. I did not expect a miracle pill from Dr. Geitzen and accepted that the effort was still mine to get myself out of the TMS trap.

7. Patrisia

Patrisia Peer Supporter

Yes! He is a neurologist so I specifically reached out to him regarding my trigeminal neuralgia and my MRI results.

8. Patrisia

Patrisia Peer Supporter

@determined_75 physicians will always tell you that something is wrong and will want to treat it either by surgery or pills. I also had MRI abnormalities that were supposed to be treated by surgery (artery touching the trigeminal nerve). My take on this - unless it's a tumor that is irritating the tissue there is no abnormality.

TG957 likes this.
  9. TG957

@Patricia is right. My electromyography was abnormal and I was told many times that I needed steroid injection and/or surgery. Here I am - fully recovered.

10. determined_75

determined_75 New Member

Thank you @TG957 and @Patrisia!