1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Happy to find this group

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by John’74, Feb 3, 2018.

1. John’74

John’74 Peer Supporter

I’m so glad to find this group! I totally believe that I have TMS. I’ve got neck,shoulder,arm&hand pain. I also just had lumbar spinal fusion 4 months ago. Surgeon says I have to take Gabapentin 3x daily until 6 months after surgery. I have to do my PT&walking too. It’s my upper extremities that are the biggest pain currently. How do I follow Dr Sarno’s rules about stopping PT&meds when I’ve just had surgery?? PS:I was a hairstylist for 25 yrs&2 Neurosurgeon told me after looking @neck that all arm stuff was coming from repetitive motion. I quit hairstyling 4 months ago when I had back surgery.

2. iwire

iwire Peer Supporter

At the time I realized that I likely had TMS I was taking amytriptyline. I saw a TMS doctor and he got me started on the "Unlearn your Pain" program and Alan's program (on this site). He didn't talk to me about stopping the amytriptyline at first--I did that a couple months after beginning the program-- so I am off the meds now. Staying on my meds for the first couple of months of my TMS work actually helped me because the only change happening for me in that first two months was my TMS work-- so I knew what was helping!! There was a bit of adjustment when I first came off the meds and I think if I had done that immediately I might have blamed "feeling worse" for a couple days on the the things I was doing as part of the TMS program and might have gotten discouraged. When we decided I would go off the meds-- I just weaned off as they told me--and that was it. Good Luck! I highly recommend talking with a TMS doctor if you can--and looking at Unlearn your Pain, by Dr. Schubiner, the Structured education program on this site and Alan's program also on this site.

3. John’74

John’74 Peer Supporter

Oh,God bless you! I’m so glad to hear that you had success! I feel much better knowing about your medication story&thanks so much for the info. It gives me a place to start

4. iwire

iwire Peer Supporter

I would also say-- that I went to my doctor that prescribed the meds (not my tms doctor) and talked to her about TMS and how I wanted to wean off the meds. She was completely supportive and I think relieved that I wanted to take a mind body approach because she didn't really know what else to do for me. She gave me advice about how to safely stop the meds and she gave me her support around the TMS approach. This was very helpful for me. I would encourage you to reach out to your doctor and explain what you are hoping to do-- you might have to explain TMS (I did). But now-- as I am trying to heal myself with this mind body approach-- it helps me to have all of my doctors "on the same page." It gives me confidence and helps me manage my anxiety over my symptoms.

5. John’74

John’74 Peer Supporter

6. John’74

John’74 Peer Supporter

Thanks for the great advice. I see my surgeon in mid March&will talk to him about it.

7. MindBodyPT

MindBodyPT Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi John,

Welcome to the forums! Also glad you've found us, and know that plenty of people on here also have had orthopedic surgeries in the past, so you aren't alone. Not sure what is going on with your doctor's recommendation to take gabapentin for such a long period of time! That medication is normally prescribed for nerve pain...so if your pain diminishes I don't know why you'd still need it. That is worth a talk with your doctor to see if you could taper off earlier if you're ready! As far as the PT- as a PT myself I can tell you it is important to do your post-surgical rehab in order to gain your mobility back after a major procedure like a fusion. However, it could help to think of it as doing the PT to improve your function and get back to your usual way of moving instead of as a solution to pain. I work mostly with people who need PT for mobility reasons, not for TMS pain relief. Hope that helps clarify a bit, and glad you found TMS!

8. John’74

John’74 Peer Supporter

Thanks for the advice! I see my surgeon mid March&will ask about tapering the Gabapentin. I was originally on it 6x daily&took myself down to 3. It was for leg&feet pain from where he touched the nerves during surgery. He told me to stay @3x daily until 6 months post op. I think just to make sure I would be pain free during rehab. You’re right about my PT being for mobility. I don’t do it for TMS pain relief. My shoulders &arms are my biggest problem. Thanks again for taking the time to talk with me. This is such a wonderful resource. Makes me feel better just knowing that I’m not alone!