1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Hanna Somatics for stiffness?

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by OnTheRoad, Dec 18, 2016.

1. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Peer Supporter

Has anyone tried Hanna Somatics for stiffness and disconnection that remains even when pain is not present? I am dogged by this feeling of stiffness in my legs and hips even after the pain is gone, a feeling of disconnection from normal bodily sensations I used to have that connected legs, hips, and torso. Especially distressing as I used to be a dancer (ballet/modern dance) and was used to a lot of proprioceptive sensation...knew what to do if body was stiff at all to relax it. I have the feeling I may have a twisted sacrum that is causing this and have been trying some of the exercises Lawrence Gold put on Youtube for this. Other Hanna Somatics have helped me regain sensation and relax and stretch my ribs and shoulders, so I'm hoping this Lawrence Gold work will help my legs/hips/torso reconnect. Anyone else tried this, or had success with re-connecting the sensations in thighs, hips, torso probably created by intense guarding after repeated low back spasms?

2. Saoirse

Saoirse Peer Supporter

Hi I have done a lots on Hanna Somatics I dont do it anymore as I am focusing on the mind and the theory is that if you focus on the body having real issues instead of TMS it can support the cycle of TMS. Instead for I have started something I would have been far to afraid to do reformer pilates to really accept I am ok to push thro. I did somatics every day for 2 years but I was still stiff and sore as it was coming from my brain, I hope I have been some help.

JanAtheCPA and OnTheRoad like this.
  3. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Saoirse said it - it's time to start thinking psychologically instead of physically!

Saoirse and OnTheRoad like this.
  4. pspa

pspa Well known member

I have certainly seen success stories, such as "Hillbilly's" on the other forum, where the poster felt that Hanna Somatics and related modalities helped them tremendously.

5. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, OnTheRoad. I agree with he others, that it can be counter-productive to work on healing techniques that focus on the physical. To heal from TMS MindBody pain, you need to believe 100 percent that emotions cause your pain. Good luck and keep positive.

Saoirse and OnTheRoad like this.
  6. pspa

pspa Well known member

So why is progressive muscle relaxation OK? The theory of first tightening then gradually relaxing the muscle is quite similar to Hanna as I understand it, Hanna just has more complicated movements.

OnTheRoad likes this.
  7. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

I think it always comes down to the question, "Are we treating the symptom or the cause?" As long as one can stay clear that physical modalities of treatment treat symptoms only, then I think using them that way is fine. Just need to keep in mind that the cause of TMS is psychogenic and lasting improvement will come only from treating it at that level.

Saoirse, pspa and OnTheRoad like this.
  8. pspa

pspa Well known member

No question. Nobody who believes in pain or other illness of psychogenic origin would say that a physical modality could cure it. But that said, in my experience on both boards I have seen a lot of advice given to completely avoid physical modalities because they might send the wrong message to the unconscious, or whatever. I never understood how anyone could actually know that, or why that would be the case. I don't see the harm of doing physical stuff that helps with relaxation, or brings temporary relief. It doesn't always have to be "or," it can be "and." (paraphrasing Stephen Sondheim here)

Pia likes this.
  9. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Yea, we won't really know for sure till we have some quality research available on whether using physical modalities while concurrently treating TMS as psychogenic impairs recovery. But in the meantime, I think people just need to help themselves feel better at times.

pspa likes this.
  10. Saoirse

Saoirse Peer Supporter

I do Progressive Muscle Relaxation ad hoc when mindfulness is very difficult with monkey mind or my back is really sore and stiff , I know 100% it will do nothing to fix or help anything but the moment I'm in . It gives me immediate relief and my mind is occupied squeezing and relaxing but I know it could be ineffective 10 minutes after I finish and thats fine its just a tool for me to give me some mental distance from the pain not to do anything for my back as my back is not the problem, Thats my overview. Its like if I have to take a breakthrough painkiller if I have to teach and its just getting me anxious with the pain and it showtime but I tell myself firmly " I know this is from the mind, I know my mind is being distracted by pain to keep my emotions locked away.But I am taking this painkiller to treat my TMS induced real pain as I have to stand up and work in terrible pain NOW and I'm ok with that for NOW. Every day will be different and I can not suffer with an audience right now.Then I cut myself some mental Guilt slack and get on with my work.

OnTheRoad likes this.
  11. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

As others have suggested: If it is for relaxation, and pleasure, and you are clear that the physical work is not meant to "fix" any of your problems, then why not? You do walk a fine line here, regarding the basic Sarno approach. Remember he dropped all physical therapy because he found it wasn't needed, and physical therapy brought the mind back to the physical, rather than the psychological. Reading your post OnTheRoad, you seem to hope this approach will fix something. It might be best to be patient with the pure Sarno approach.

Tala, JanAtheCPA and Saoirse like this.
  12. TracieYoung

TracieYoung Newcomer

• Commercial links are not allowed. Please review the forum guidelines at http://www.tmswiki.org/forum/threads/forum-faqs-frequently-asked-questions.1618/#rules
    Hi there,
    My sister was also in the same situation, she was also suffering from body muscle stiffness. She was also not getting a solution for her problem, she wants her body to be flexible and have tried different stretching methods too. One of my friends suggested me of air-jet water massage that helps in muscle stiffness. And even informed me about the walk in tubs professionals who provides this feature in their bathtub so that users does not have to go through the centers in pain and can get the benefits of the water massage in their own home. So I immediately contacted the (link removed by moderator) and installed a tub for my sister. She had got really positive results after using the therapy in the tub. You can also install a tub through professionals, they also provide the information about how long you should take water massage for your stiffness.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2017