1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Handwriting Analysis Gift - A view of your subconscious mind

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Dear Lianne, Dec 10, 2013.

1. Dear Lianne

Dear Lianne Peer Supporter

Hi Becca,

It's interesting what you say about your retaining classroom information in your handwritten notes better than the typed notes. Since handwriting is brain writing, it would probably serve to reason that the neural pathways of the brain are activated when one is handwriting vs. typing. So, the content of what you are handwriting is possibly etched more in the mind because of certain neurons being active while writing. I find this is true for me, too. When I was in college and graduate school, sometimes I would re-write content from my notes onto notecards. Then, I would have the extra experience of etching the concepts into my brain as I made the index cards. I am showing my age here, Becca, because I would not study that way necessarily now - LOL! We did not have the Internet and recording tools that you and your peers have now. A colleague who does handwriting analysis calls this field, "brain prints" which is a pretty accurate description of the role of the brain in handwriting.

What subject are you studying in college? If you are taking psychology courses, look up the handwriting analysis expertise. That is how I came across this discipline myself. I was in grad school and a wonderful professor introduced the subject in his biological psychology course. It was so fascinating, I later studied it on my own. You must be in the middle of final exams (or are about done for the semester). Hope all goes well for you!

I thought it was great to see you articulate that very thought. My father was a poet and I recall as a child his sitting with a blank piece of paper and his handwriting drafts of poems. He also was an English teacher so he helped me and my brothers with our writing. He had a typewriter, but when he was creating, he always wrote with a pen. This brings nice memories back to me…he was a beautiful writer.

I think the younger one is, the less one will be handwriting in the future. Though I love this field, I do understand the need for moving forward with new technology. It is surprising, however, when I receive a handwritten note from a friend or relative. It adds an intimate touch.

Lastly, I have the tendency to edit, edit, edit too - LOL! I think that is from my own background where both my parents were English teachers. But perhaps it's the perfectionism thing with me, too.

Take care. You have some good insights here. You make me aware that college students today are approaching their studies differently. Wish I had the Internet when I was taking courses - it would have helped tremendously!

2. Dear Lianne

Hi Walt,

It's been snowing beautifully here, too. I love to watch the snow falling - especially at this time of year. It makes me think of the Peanut's Christmas show where Charlie Brown and friends are skating around a pond with the snow falling softly. Blissful for me :) That Christmas party activity sounds like it was fun, while also being meaningful to the animals.

My mom lives in an independent living community. About 4 years ago, she told me of a friend in her community who was a native Polish speaking man and he therefore was not able to communicate effectively with the English speaking community members. He spent his days going into the woods nearby where he would bring food to the animals that he'd bought. Every day, he would go into the woods and feed the animals and commune with them. He was a beautiful, gentle person and my mom loved his smile and his genuine love for animals. Eventually, the managers of her residence heard of his sojourns and stopped the feeding of wildlife in the area. He abided by their new rules, but I am sure it bothered him greatly. Well, he died about 2 years ago - he was in his 90's I believe. My mom said that the day he died, the animals and birds surrounded his apartment. It was as if they were paying their respects. She'd never seen that happen prior, and never since.

3. Dear Lianne

Hi Friends,
    I found Helen Keller's handwriting sample online.

I can tell you about her character, given her handwriting. She was highly organized, loved a good debate, and she had great mechanical coordination, among other qualities. She also had a mind that was creative and she would've been a great engineer or architect had she possessed the sensory visual requirements. Of course, women did not normally have careers in her day, but I'm just saying these are the talents that jump out at me when viewing her handwritten letters here.

I hope this photo image shows clearly. I forget her age when she was blind and deaf. I know that it happened early in her life, if I am recalling accurately. https://www.pinterest.com/perkinsarchives/helen-keller-letters/

4. Dear Lianne

Hi Bruce,

I remember your handwriting after all these months :) And of course, I recall you, too. Thank you for your public confirmation of the handwriting analysis I conducted for you. I will not give away the names of clients I work with (much like a counselor will not reveal their communications with a client). I was actually referring to another person on this TMS wiki site who had me do an analysis this past week, but I did not post it publicly because I was not sure that this individual would want their sample posted. Perhaps they do and will let me know of this fact. This other person, like you, was really impressed with the accuracy of my personality profile so I think it helped this individual to gain some additional insights about themselves.

Your handwriting analysis was memorable for me because there were so many "hits" that you confirmed in a nice letter to me afterward. I was really taken by the fact that you're such an optimist, which shows in your handwriting. It was a theme of your reading, along with your intellectual abilities.

You shared here a unique perspective about the Greeks and the methods whereby information was communicated and recalled. I am a visual person, so seeing things in writing is important to my learning. Yet my brother has dyslexia and he can recall nearly everything said to him orally - he compensated since he was a child and adapted his learning such that he has a well developed auditory memory. It is better if he does not see something in writing. So, I could see how the Greeks adapted their auditory memory recall.

You also said this above: "Likewise, the resonance of the sounds creates deep memories at the body level. That's why chanting is such a powerful meditation tool." I like the way you phrased this. I recently was thinking of a woman who has a free meditation on YouTube that is amazing. I will try to find it and connect the link for you and others to listen to and use if you wish. Certain tones can be healing, and I would intuit that chanting and meditation activate certain calming brain centers. Monks have been known to have endured low outdoor temperatures when in meditation states. I would think that meditation could be very healing for those of us here on this TMS wiki site.

I like the phrase you used, "Hearing yourself think." With handwriting, I am "Seeing you think." I obviously cannot see EVERYTHING because I am a limited being, but it is the closest discipline I know to understanding the true essence of you without having met you.

With sound, counselors can often assess if one is depressed by simply listening to one's voice; the voice definitely gives away the psyche as well. We all know when someone is happy or sad based on voice tone and inflection.

Walt had mentioned how his dog, Annie, is a great communicator. I think animals can feel our energies (and perhaps see them), and they certainly understand our voices.

Bruce, leave it to you to bring the dialogue up a notch - pun intended :) For those of you who don't know Bruce, he is a retired Professor and a professional rock climber who currently writes rock climbing guides. Hope you don't mind my sharing this with others Bruce, but I think your careers and interests are so cool!

BruceMC likes this.
  5. North Star

North Star Beloved Grand Eagle

Aha! I suspected you were quite learned, Bruce. (And seriously, it IS all Greek to me!) And I picked up your rock climbing on one of the Tuesday calls. I've climbed a few ladders up to this point in my life and that was enough adrenalin for this girl. :eek:

I have really enjoyed reading this thread. And Lianne, you've really piqued my interest in handwriting analysis. I'm going to snoop around and see if there are some online courses (open source) on the topic. If you can recommend any, I'm all ears. And BTW, my note taking in school was the same way. I'd scribble my notes and then rewrite them. I feel like it cemented the content in my noggin'. And the editing thing…yeah, I do that too. But I am a writer and believe the more important part of that is producing something that's easy to read. So it might not be just a perfectionist thing. (Though I DO recognize that in me when I start editing poorly written "menu's" or other such abominations. haha)

Walt, I loved the Christmas with the animals stories. Animals enrich our lives so. I'm still missing my beloved kitty who died several months ago. My new kitty and I are still getting used to each other but she is warming up nicely and is finally sleeping on our bed.

I really enjoyed this thread!

BruceMC likes this.
  6. Lily Rose

Lily Rose Beloved Grand Eagle

This caused a soft laugh. Lucy, our Golden Retriever/Lab mix, sleeps on our bed. All of our dogs and cats were always welcome and encouraged to do so. They are born in litters, and used to cuddling. While sleep can be interrupted, it is richer and deeper (at least, for me it is). I'm glad to know this about you.

with grace and gratitude,
    ^_^

7. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I wish Annie would sleep on my bed but she's never wanted to.
    She prefers the couch in the living room.

That's okay. It's her house. haha

8. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Liane, interesting that you say we retain information better if we write it and not type it.
    I've always found this to be true in my case.
    I journal by writing and it has been very helpful in discovering my repressed emotions.