1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Hand/fingers pain with inflammation and loss of mobility

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by codeina, Oct 1, 2020.

1. codeina

codeina New Member

I'm back after a month, I was suspecting I might have TMS before I went to a rheumatologist. I still was looking for an answer; still had that nagging voice telling me maybe I wasn't just my brain causing this very physical symptoms.
    The rheumatologist told me I looked like a classic case of psoriatic arthritis, gave Meloxicam. Had blood drawn, x rays and 2nd appt scheduled. Then two weeks later a letter "there is no evidence of inflammatory arthritis yadda yadda yadda".
    I was still going to physical therapy, massage, taking Meloxicam, going to hand therapist, resting/not using my hand. My hand was still inflamed, achy and pretty much I became a pitiful version of myself.
    Still decided to go to a hand surgeon appointment, he looked at me and then proceeded to inject a cortisteroid. Yet, symptoms persisted. I stopped Meloxicam one week before the injection.
    I got tired of this, so I scheduled an appointment with an MD that is a big believer of TMS. He listened to me, he saw all of my test results, he did a physical check...we talked for an hour and a half.
    He told me "you have TMS, resume your physical activity." That night I watched All the Rage.
    I kid you not; I'm two days into resuming my life and the inflammation and pain and numbness is gone. I don't fear the pain anymore and my hand got better!
    It sounds ridiculous but I can't believe just telling my brain not to fear pain has been more effective than steroids and NSAIDs!

TG957 and miffybunny like this.
  2. codeina

codeina New Member

PS. And yeah, the hand issues started out of the blue after a big financial change. I was having lots of anxiety because of Pandemic/finances; got the hand issue and my anxiety went M.I.A.

3. miffybunny

miffybunny Beloved Grand Eagle

Oh yes! I had something similar happen to me a couple of months ago! One of my fingers hurt and it woke me out of my sleep. Within a week all my fingers and knuckles and even wrists were aching. I have a long history of TMS and in recent months I had accumulated a lot of stress. At fist I did wonder if I had rheumatoid arthritis but then I realized that made no sense as that is a process that happens gradually...not in the course of a week. Then some old TMS symptoms popped up and the TMS had tipped its hand. Within the next week all symptoms were gone. Once I realized "oh it's just tms" and I looked back on my stressors it all made sense and I pulled myself together mentally. Great job!!

TG957 and codeina like this.
  4. codeina

codeina New Member

Awesome! I do have a history of anxiety and history of random aches and pains that I usually ignore and they go away to spawn somewhere else. This is the first time it got to my hand and as I became worried-sick it might be some form of autoimmune disease my symptoms got worse.
    It's funny that the day of my rheumatologist appointment, I woke up with a semi-normal hand and as I got to her office my symptoms got worse (I even got hives on my thumb!).

Idearealist, TG957 and miffybunny like this.