1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Half way through Programme but now cant walk

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by AllPgy, Jan 27, 2016.

1. AllPgy

AllPgy New Member

Hi, I'm halfway through the Structural Education Programme, I've been some good progress I felt with emotional factors due to daily journaling and have been feeling like I'm getting to grips the issues and how I want to change. Stepped up the exercise also swimming, cycling and weights but in the last week then pain has intensified, it first started moving but now right back into my buttock, leg, calf and foot. I tried walking today and couldn't get 10 metres up the road.

I'm scared and having a real down day. I know the pain can get worse as lift the bonnet but I've gone from a mild limp to practically unable to walk in 3 weeks and very scared. Has this happened to anyone else?

Mermaid likes this.
  2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, AllPgy. I am sorry you have had a relapse of pain, but many others have said that has happened to them along the way in their TMS healing.
    Dr. Sarno says it can happen when the subconscious "gets it," that you have discovered some repressed emotions. It sends pain to other parts of the body, or intensifies them, to keep you focused on discovering the emotions causing the pain. The subcon also sends fear and worry, in your case that you are going to get worse. You did right in keeping physically active. It won't hurt you to continue. There are some excellent videos on Youtube for seniors...
    mild exercise for seniors... Even if you are not a senior citizen like I am, at age 85, they are great for anyone and can strengthen your muscles.

AllPgy, breakfree and Mermaid like this.
  3. Mermaid

Mermaid Well known member

This is what's known as an "extinction burst", in other words your brain knows you're on to it so it's trying REALLY hard to get your attention. I know it's difficult, but stick with it and keep telling your brain that you know what it's doing, it can't scare you, so just stop it.

Keep in mind the progress you have made so far. If you're anything like me you'll have lots up and downs, persistance is the key. Remind yourself that the pain is harmless and temporary.

TMS healing is not for whimps, but it's the only way to be free of your pain.

I hope this episode soon passes. Please don't let it scare you and send you into a spiral of fearful thoughts, that's just what it wants. We need to break the FEAR - TENSION - FEAR cycle which perpetuates TMS pain.

Bless you :joyful:

Lavender, AllPgy and breakfree like this.
  4. Susan1111

Susan1111 Well known member

Allpgy pain is scary and it seems to be the point. The pain is where you put your focus instead of whatever else may be going on....

Be kind to yourself. We sometimes are our worst enemies. Continue to work out ...swimming is probably one of the best things out of what you mentioned you can be doing. Feel the water comforting around you...allow yourself to relax in the water... Be easy on yourself, breath as you take each stroke. Perhaps splash around and feel free! I'm speaking as someone who teaches exercise and deals with my own pain and others...Mind body connection. I'm not anti weight training but sometimes during pain it is helpful to do something less mechanical and remember our bodies are organisms and not machines. Feel freedom in your movement. Watch a cat stretch it's spine..a jelly fish...free of tension...that's why I picked swimming from what you mentioned.

Warmly, Susan

Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
    AllPgy and breakfree like this.
  5. Orion2012

Orion2012 Well known member

I also got worse before I got better. Went from discomfort to debilitating pain- after learning about TMS. But a few months of journalling, meditation, and affirmations did the trick. Now I run, ski, move furniture, whatever- without pain or fear.

breakfree, she333 and Mermaid like this.
  6. AllPgy

AllPgy New Member

Thank you all for your comments. It's been a tough time, but this forum and the kind & generous people on it help get you through. God bless you all. As Mermaid said, I was at a critical point in the process and had to break on through ( I like extinction burst - makes perfect sense)...making progress daily and thank you for taking the time to offer support.

Susan1111 likes this.
  7. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

This is great news!!! Thanks for the update.

8. ashoo79

ashoo79 New Member

I have question when you are going in such phase as the pain getting intensify can you take some pain medicine when it's really unbearable. Thanks

9. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

ashoo,
    Dr. Sarno gave pain medication to patients as needed. This is my only thought on this. You might start a new post in "support" subforum, and ask for responses there.
    Andy B