1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Had Some Early Progress, Now The Pain is Back

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by finchy444, Jun 24, 2015.

1. finchy444

finchy444 New Member

Hello everybody,

My journey has been interesting, to say the least. I had rotator cuff, then anterior deltoid/pec minor tendonitis (TMS), and after that got better, chronic neck pain (TMS). After reading many of the recommended books, doing the TMS workbook, and listening to audio CDS, I started to make quick progress. I met with Dr. Schecter and was finally given the correct diagnosis for all of my pain that appeared to fluctuate between my shoulder and neck, though there was never pain in those regions at the same time (Symptom Imperative). After my consultation and TMS diagnosis, I started exercising more than ever, 100% confident in the TMS diagnosis, as the good doctor assured me there was no structural damage.

I started seeing a TMS therapist via Skype, and had very fast progress. Within a few weeks I was totally pain free, and I went a long while without even thinking about TMS. During that time, I was writing in my TMS journal and enjoying a pain-free life! However, I've had some neck pain that has come back for a few weeks now, and it's with me about 50% of the time. I'm still seeing the TMS therapist, so that is helping me not feed into the fear and relapse back to worried thinking. However, it is a nuisance. He tells me that when I truly "don't give a f#ck about the pain", it will finally stop. I adopted this attitude 100% over a month ago. And as a result, no pain! I have finished the TMS workbook a few weeks ago and am wondering if maybe that is why the pain came back?

I guess the daily journaling and reflection on TMS is a must, because I have certainly started slacking off on the stuff I did before. Previously I was reading books, journaling, listening to CDS, and seeing my therapist. I probably only spent 15-30 minutes per day on my treatment on average, so it's not like it was a major inconvenience or anything. Already, I feel 50% of my current neck pain is gone simply from writing these words....kind of profound. I now realize that I need to do a little more if I'm to truly beat TMS. I'm not obsessing over it like I used to. Just realizing that my early success is gone, and I simply need to adjust things so I can enjoy the life I was living for awhile. It was grand! If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears. And if anyone has questions, I'll answer them to the best of my ability. Thanks.

2. mhernandez1988

mhernandez1988 Newcomer

Hey finchy, how did it turn out?

3. gaby1511

gaby1511 Peer Supporter

I have pelvic pain, and 2 years read jhon sarno and ind weeks the pain go away. Why this tine the pain dont go???

Is because i still in a job a hate?? I have to change?? I dont know. I still feel better and now the pain retourn...

4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Gaby, hating your job can cause a lot of pain. I hated mine, some years ago, and was told I had the worst health record of anyone at the big insurance company. Sick with colds most of the time. I finally quit and got a new job and after many years now, I have not had a cold.

It you can change jobs, be sure to have a new one before you leave the old one.

Meanwhile, believe 100 percent that your pelvic pain is from TMS. You may be withholding a little doubt that it's structural.

If you can't change jobs, at least right away, try spending your free time and weekends doing things you like, that give you pleasure. A hobby or sports or other activities can make you think and feel happier. Maybe something you would like to have a job in. Do that in your free time.