1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Guilt

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Jacqui9, Sep 3, 2016.

1. Jacqui9

Jacqui9 Peer Supporter

We lost our last dog to cancer today. I feel overwhelming guilt. I always feel guilt when we lose an animal. I volunteer at our local humane society and feel guilt when we lose an animal there. Is this causing my TMS?

2. riverrat

riverrat Well known member

I am so very sorry! I wish I could give you a hug. I know how important an animal is in our life. It sounds as though you love animals. Be proud of all you've done to make their life happy. You've done nothing wrong when you lose one- that is just nature. It is never your fault. You've helped give them a happy, safe life. Be happy with all you've done to love them!

Yes guilt can totally give tms symptoms I'm sure. That is one of my struggles on healing this too. Try writing why you feel guilt. Hopefully it will reveal how there's not really anything you should feel guilty about and will help you release it.

plum likes this.
  3. Jacqui9

Jacqui9 Peer Supporter

Thank you for responding. I loved her so.

4. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

For now it is enough to grieve. I suspect that grief and sorrow underscore TMS as much if not more than anger. To feel all you feel at this time is enough.

(And later, when your heart is ready you can pass the ball to your mind and ponder more deeply. Guilt is inevitably a part of loss where we wonder what we could have done or done better. There may be insights here and things we regret but be mindful of letting this develop into recriminations. As @riverrat says this is nature and none of us can do anything to change these endless cycles. All we can do is find a measure of peace and acceptance.)

I send you my love.

5. Jacqui9

Jacqui9 Peer Supporter

Plum,

Thank you so much for your advice and your sentiment.