1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 1 Guilt?

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Moppy, Dec 18, 2015.

1. Moppy

Moppy Peer Supporter

Hi. Just starting TMS journey with crippling RSI in both arms for 4 yrs....nothing really helps pain. I seem to have often had pain conditions throughout my life which I now believe may have been TMS related. Ive ALWAYS felt guilty about having something wrong with me, believe its my fault somehow, and tried to hide the pain. Have others experienced this guilt? Is it part of TMS syndrome?

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Moppy. Unless we hurt ourselves intentionally, like hitting ourself over the head with a brick, we should not feel guilty about causing any pain.
    I believe Dr. Sarno is right, that we feel pain because of repressed emotions or our perfectionist and goodist personality. I had severe back pain but never felt guilty that I caused it. Try not to let your Inner Bully cause you to feel guilty about your pain. That had nothing to do with it. Good luck in healing.

3. Moppy

Moppy Peer Supporter

Thank you Walt....yeah, I know you're right and I'm really making an effort to hear and challenge that inner bully now whose self critical comments masquerade for me as 'normal' thinking....have done for most of my 63 years, so much so that the real me has been all but buried beneath the guilt...but now I'm hoping I can change this scenario. I'm only just realizing what a ridiculous situation I've been in: repressing a deep anger I've felt too afraid to express and feel, never feeling good enough and always feeling guilty about it, which causes pain in my body and then feeling guilty about that...which just causes more pain....just a crazy roundabout!! Thankyou for your thoughts, it really helps more than I can say to know that I'm not travelling this journey alone