1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 15 Great journaling idea today!

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by cool_change, Feb 16, 2020.

1. cool_change

cool_change New Member

For today's journaling session the prompt was to write dialogue with someone/ thing that's stressing you out, so I decided to write to a body part directly: my brain.

I don't know if it's the creative format, the directness of dialogue method, or the fact I'm a writer by profession, so it's easy for me to slip into the "voice" of another character, but this was one of the most interesting and insightful journal exercises I've done (and I journal daily).

It really got the heart of why my symptoms started when they did, what my unconscious brain wants, why it's still giving me illness, and how I can go about healing. It illuminated my need to nurture and care for myself, to listen to what I really want rather than push through, and even highlighted some surprising resistance.

We all have different things that appeal to our psychology, but if you're doing this exercise I'd highly recommend you talk to a body part, it was a great tool to tap into my inner workings, and very insightful.

Has anyone else 'talked' to a body part? What was your experience?

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
    Aimee88 and JanAtheCPA like this.
  2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

I have! Mostly my digestive system, which caused me no end of grief, off and on, for decades, and got pretty bad in 2011 "Before Sarno". After discovering this work, I found that I could soothe my system, while taking deep breaths, and basically tell it "hey, this isn't necessary". With great success. It's been years since I was up and down half the night with "issues". But I still have to work at it during stressful times.

cool_change likes this.
  3. cool_change

cool_change New Member

Great to hear it worked for you! After the success of the journaling exercise, I'm going to try talking directly to my body when my symptoms arise.

JanAtheCPA likes this.