1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Grateful for TMS?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by gitch, Nov 18, 2019.

1. gitch

gitch Peer Supporter

I did a gratitude post the other day, as my embracing of mind/body health has really transformed my health and my entire life. Today, I had a revelation about TMS which may or may not resonate with some of you.

I'm actually grateful when I get TMS now, because it's a sign that I'm not at all comfortable with something.

Over the weekend, my family have been through some quite traumatic events. I won't go into the detail, but for those who were close to the events, it will leave lifelong memories. Yesterday, I thought I was ok with everything. But last night/this morning I had terrible back pain when trying to sleep. It no longer worries me the way it used to.

Last time my TMS flared up, I took the attitude "Bring it on! Come on... show me your worse" and it was gone within a day. However, this one was trying to get my attention. It's taken me all day, but I've figured it out and am feeling FAR better now.

I know Dr. Sarno says the purpose of the pain is to distract you from emotions you don't want to face, but now I'm no longer intimdated by the pain, I can see there's actually a balanced equation there: "emotions you don't want to face" cause TMS, therefore whenever you have TMS, it's a sign there are emotions you are not facing.

TMS isn't evil to me; it's my body telling me it's uncomfortable with my position on something important.

It tells me when I need to stop and think about things. If it didn't speak to me like this, I'd just keep bottling up emotions. My body can't handle that any more. It needs me to live life on a clear head, and resolve internal conflict.

Has anyone else reached a similar conclusion?

2. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

Oh yeah!
    I first got 'better' (pain free) in '99. Since then I have had so many TMS adventures to guide me I could fill a book. I have NOT been in much pain...usually hours, sometimes days... a couple of weeks during my divorce, BUT it has been a great barometer of where I am at and who I really am vs. Who I'd like to pretend to be.
    It has certainly been an integral part of my own spiritual life and development. It has given me a enormous appreciation for life. .. and it had actually warned me when I am getting off track.
    Who would have thought, huh?

3. LaughingKat

LaughingKat Peer Supporter

I'm so grateful for my TMS experiences. It's given me a clearer picture of how my body works, urged me to confront the terrible grief and anger I have about my hateful mother, and brought me closer to my spirituality. It is a gift...although it doesn't feel that way at times! The alternative is being at the mercy of doctors who have so much to learn.

plum, JanAtheCPA and gitch like this.
  4. gitch

gitch Peer Supporter

I think the part that it's easy to miss (which perhaps explains the lack of replies to my original post) is that, just because the signal our body sends us is physical pain, that doesn't mean the intent behind the original message is a bad one. Most people can relate to the concept of "gut feelings" and letting them guide us, yet somehow when the same mechanism sends us physical pain, we automatically treat it with disdain?

Throughout our lives, we act in what we think are our best interests at the time, but if we make those decisions without being truly conscious (and lord knows I've made thousands in my time) we need something to tell us when we are off track.

Anyone who has ever wanted a guardian angel to watch over them and to tell them what they really want in life, what really matters to them etc should take a reflective look at what TMS is really born from. Angels are just a construct we built, and they seem so kind and caring. But sometimes, we all need tough love, and the most certain way for that message to be heard is with physical pain.

plum, Baseball65 and JanAtheCPA like this.
  5. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

Before I ever knew I had Mind-body-dilemma-TMS-whatever-ya-wanna-call-it I was already a huge fan of science. Particularly stuff in physics like Heisenberg's uncertainty principle, Schrodinger's cat, and peculiar 'gedanken experiments' that Albert E. was fond of.
    I have discovered from my own gently forced march into the dumpster fire, that every principle that applies to the physical 'outside' world also applies to the inside.
    God and the universe ARE forgiving and the world is NOT a senseless cold place, but rather a very intricately woven tapestry that is just outside the grasp of my consciousness....
    The best metaphor with TMS recovery tools I can think of is electricity.
    I lost power for 5 days in the middle of last summer and realized how very, very lucky we are to have electricity. I don't know HOW it works, but I do know that when I hook up the black and white wires BING... I can plug my radio into it and it works.

IF I plug it in and it doesn't work, I don't say "See! Electricity doesn't work" or worse "Electricity doesn't work FOR ME!"

I know I must be doing something wrong... some connection isn't being made or made correctly. I review my connections and make sure they are sound. If they are I go to the neighbors and see if they have power. Maybe there just isn't any coming from the mains. Maybe I just have to sit patiently.

While I am roasting in 100 degree heat , in the dark and all of my food is melting, I take a few minutes to thank God for electricity and the people who make sure we get it regularly.

..and then it comes on.

plum and JanAtheCPA like this.