1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Book Google Trends

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Forest, Mar 9, 2014.

1. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi everyone,

I thought I'd share a graph from a site called Google Trends. This is a fairly simple Google-sponsored site that shows trends in Google search traffic over time.

I put in the names of the top authors who write specifically about what I call TMS (they might not call it TMS - everyone else is welcome to use whatever term they prefer). The following graph shows search traffic over time, with the highest point on any of the lines being arbitrarily given a value of "100," and everything else being compared to that:

You can hover your mouse over the results to see relative rankings. In addition to the names show above, I also put in all of the other authors I could think of, and none of them broke above zero.

Clearly, Dr. Sarno towers above the rest. He invented the modern field of mind-body medicine, so it is great to see his contributions are being recognized by the market. When compared to his success, the only name that managed to even break above "zero" was David Hanscom, and with his PR campaign apparently wrapping up, that has gone away.

It takes an awful lot to compare to a giant like Dr. Sarno.

Anyway, I thought I'd share. I do my best to keep up with things like this. Any other thoughts or questions about the graph?

Enrique likes this.
  2. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

By the way, if you think you've found another TMS author who has broken above zero, click on this link and try putting them in the same graph to see if they ever break zero when on the same graph as Dr. Sarno. By the way, I'm only including people who specifically write about pain syndromes or other medically unexplained syndromes being completely caused by mental or emotional tension. Names like Gabor Mate, Candace Pert, and Robert Sapolsky would certainly break above zero, but I think of them as describing a different class of patients.

3. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Well, the good news here is that I'm on an equal footing with Howard Schubiner and Steve Ozanich :D