1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Good shoes / bad shoes??

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Renate, Aug 15, 2018.

1. Renate

Renate Peer Supporter

Since two months the weather was beautiful here in Austria but now we had two rainy days. In summer I wear sandals and my painful foot gets better. But the moment I put on the closed shoes (as I did yesterday) my foot hurts much more. Since years there is the same situation: in autumn I put on the closed shoes, my foot gets worse and stays bad until I put on the sandals in summer. When I wear winter shoes my foot gets even worse.
    I know it is the Pawlow‘s reaction!! And I a am convinced since years that I have TMS.
    When I wear the closed shoes, I do somatic tracking, I tell myself that everything is ok, I try to ignore the pain, I put my attention on other parts of my body.... nothing works. Is there anything that has helped you in a similar situation?

2. HattieNC

HattieNC Well known member

Hey Renate,

A few years back, I had terrible shooting pains between my toes on both feet. I had to resort to wearing over-sized clodhopper shoes to work for more than a year. It was embarrassing to say the least. After I learned about TMS, I realized that in order to conquer my feet issues I had to go back to wearing normal shoes. I began with very comfortable low heeled Sketchers and slowly worked my way back to my "pretty" shoes and boots.

I also make it a practice to walk around barefoot as much as possible year round. Even at work when there aren't many coworkers around. I love the feeling of dirt, grass, or even carpet under my feet. Walking barefoot reminds me to be grateful about how far I've come now that I no longer have foot pain.

I find that a 15 minute meditation in the middle of the day also does wonders for pain and my mental state. I particularly like guided body scan meditations.

Best of luck to you!

3. Renate

Renate Peer Supporter

Hi Hattie, thank you for your post! I also started this year to walk barefoot in my apartment, it is no problem. I wear the closed shoes since my pain started( 7.5 years) and they are very comfortable. But my foot (= my brain) is so sensitiv that also nylon stockings hurt after two month with sandals ( without stockings)....
    A „meditation break“ in the middle of the day is a good idea! I know that I push myself too much and that I have to calm down my nervous system.