1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Good quote

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Jilly, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Jilly

Jilly Well known member

" Pain occupies a space we are unable to occupy in our bodies" ~ Peter Levin ;)

2. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

I have always really enjoyed Peter Levin's work, and this is a great quote. We all need to understand that our body is trying to tell us something by creating these symptoms. What book was it from? I have heard great things about Waking the Tiger, and really enjoyed reading Healing Trauma. There are so many connections between Levin's work and Sarno's. One of Sarno's most trusted psychologists, Bob Evans, wrote a wonderful review of Waking the Tiger. He wrote:

tarala and Jilly like this.
  3. Jilly

Jilly Well known member

The book is Freedom From Pain - Dr. Levine and Dr. Phillips. I love his work and have learned so much. This book is relatively new, published May 2012. Levine is into somatic experiencing (SE), I wasn't too sure about it at first. But after I worked with SE from his book, it makes the releasing experience of uncomfortable feelings tangible. It brings a tactile positive experience, which brings us out of being frozen and immobile in the uncomfortable feeling, which if left unresolved leads to repression and physical pain (no where to put this uncomfortable feeling-experience except in our poor bodies).

As Steve Ozanich said, " The end result is cognitive dissonance (an uncomfortable feeling caused by holding conflicting ideas simultaneously-knowing deep inside that something is wrong). Eventually, superego's steadfast determination to create distracting symptoms to hide id's revolt may result in the brain destroying the body. The mind will eat up the body to protect the persona. So by choosing a false self over authenticity, the brain creates an unlimited source of physical distractions including deadly diseases" p. 65.

http://www.amazon.com/Freedom-Pain-...8&qid=1357247053&sr=1-4&keywords=peter+levine

tarala likes this.
  4. tarala

tarala Well known member

Thanks Jilly and Forest. Just ordered Freedom from Pain on my Kindle and will start it today.

Jilly likes this.
  5. Jilly

Jilly Well known member

I loved this book ;)

6. tarala

tarala Well known member

I have always liked the way you are able to feel into your body Jilly. If you recommend this book for this, it must be good. It's just come on my Kindle (what an amazing world we have), so I'm off to start it now!

Jilly likes this.
  7. Jilly

Jilly Well known member

For me, Dr. Levine opened up more channels to the TMS healing and really improved my emotional and physical landscape. I hope you enjoy it and glean from it techniques to bring you comfort and healing....snuggle up, get comfy ... let us know ! Wish I was there, we could read and chatter together ! :p